Mass production of riveted narrowboats.

IanR

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Gainsborough rego date 21/9/37 build 37/03

Hampstead 15/06/37 build 37/04

Fenny rego date.   16/11/37 Build 37/03

Hawksbury 37/05 build

maybe fenny had issues or they forgot about her. 
as the build dates are broadly similar but rego way different.

course rego date could be wrong. Truth is flexible..... as we know

I have both Harland and Wolff records and G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. records, which give me the actual delivery dates rather than those partially quoted in publications. There is often little correlation between a delivery date and when a boat was health registered or gauged, and there is plenty of evidence that boats entered service before either health registration or gauging. It is also well documented that the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. struggled to man their boats on delivery with loads going into storage. As early as 13 November 1936 a policy was introduced to operate only 100 pairs, with boats stored mainly at Stockley Dock, Cumberland Basin and Boyers Pit, Harefield - and as an example on 16 November 1937 there were 44 motors and 44 buttys at Harefield alone, peaking on 05 May 1939 to 70 motors and 76 buttys :captain:

EDIT = The health registration date you quote for FENNY is correct, with the inspection for this taking place on 15 October 1937 - FENNY having being delivered on 24 March 1937 when there were 63 motors and 62 buttys in storage split between Stockley Dock and Cumberland Basin with 7 motors and 4 buttys elsewhere.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

I'm fortunate to own a book which used to belong to Claude Campling, the builder of HATFIELD.  It covers the subject of shipbuilding but I'm sure similar procedures would apply to builders of inland craft.

This book was donated by members of the Campling family to be passed to future custodians of HATFIELD.

A few images of the section on riveting.....

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

• Greenie 1