Iv finally gone and done it

fergyguy

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Today I’ve taken the plunge and bank transferred the deposit on my soon to be boat home At Last I should hopefully be moving off land after 63 years and starting a new chapter in my life afloat.

Good move. We found the first thirty years were the hardest, we think it will get easier now.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

You need to get into practice before you get on your boat.

Stand in your shower and spend 10 minutes a day ripping up fivers.:)

Have you tried ripping a new fiver, especially if its wet. You really should consider what advice you offer. I don't think the £50 notes are plastic yet, I haven't got any, I;ve got a boat. ?

• Haha 2

Congratulations! Now in addition to all the other bureaucracies in your life you'll have to start dealing with CRT or the EA or some other waterways officialdom, plus some miserable marina or moorings owner who's forgotten you're the customer and thinks they're doing you a favour by taking your money. And then you'll have to deal with us lot taking the p*ss and slagging you off when you have to ask a question because don't know what you're doing. 

And some people think it's a way out of the rat race....

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 1

On 26/11/2019 at 06:07, fergyguy said:

Today I’ve taken the plunge and bank transferred the deposit on my soon to be boat home At Last I should hopefully be moving off land after 63 years and starting a new chapter in my life afloat.

Hi "fergyguy" Congratulations with your new boat!

My planned "first day aboard" should be sometime towards the end of January or the first week of February. At the moment I am still in Thailand but my return flight (to the UK) is booked for 23rd January.
I'm still very nervous about the first few days because the concentration of Marinas is in an area that I have never been to (I was born in Scarborough).. At the moment it is train from London where my friend lives to (possibly Rugby?) then possibly hire a car or take taxis? Then look around and come to a decision.

I will keep updating my progress as it happens but I imagine there will be a few hiccup's  on the way.

Anyway, lots of success with your new venture and I look forward to seeing you somewhere on the network.

Have a great day

Neil

Hi Neil it’s scary as I know only too well as there’s so much to learn and being surrounded by other boaters who have a knowledge of what they are doing can be a little intimidating. From what I have learned so far most ( not all) boaters are friendly helpful folk and like us were total novices at the start of their lives afloat. Keep in touch and maybe one day we will bump ( not literally) into each other on the cut. Kind regards Martin 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not if someone gets in the shower first and uses most of the hot water

Then either have a gas instant hot water system, or run the engine to heat the tank.

And, like our last but one boat, buy a boat with a sensibly large cold water tank, it carried about a ton of water.

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2019 at 14:44, fergyguy said:

Hi Neil it’s scary as I know only too well as there’s so much to learn and being surrounded by other boaters who have a knowledge of what they are doing can be a little intimidating. From what I have learned so far most ( not all) boaters are friendly helpful folk and like us were total novices at the start of their lives afloat. Keep in touch and maybe one day we will bump ( not literally) into each other on the cut. Kind regards Martin 

Hi Martin .... Well, you should have had your first few days aboard your new boat! ....

So what are your first impressions?

I still have to arrive in the UK but I now have my flight booked for 23rd January. Then it's off to start searching in the marinas. I have been advised to head by train from London to possibly Rugby ....  then hire a car for a couple of days, find an overnight bed and breakfast and take a look around the marinas.

As I'm going to be single handed I am not looking for a stretch limousine and I'm hoping to stay around the 40k-45k price range.

I hope your first few days have been a success and I look forward to following your posts.

Neil

Marinas.JPG