Using an Ecofan the wrong way?

blackrose

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

I used a gas lighter in front of the fan  (not scientific), the flame was markedly deflected by the fan up to about 1 foot away but nothing obvious beyond that. I’ve no idea if that makes much impact distributing heat or not. At the end of the day I’m either warm or cold, with or without the fan, and need to manage the stove accordingly.

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Suppose you ran out of matches, fire lighters and kindling. If you deliberately span the ecofan blades backwards to give a reverse current across the thermoelectric module, could you get the stove hot enough to light itself?

This subject has been done to death. The facts are that any misuse of the eco fan can easily result in death. Such is the massive heat generated by them even at low speed. Reversing the direction would put such heat down through the base plate that it would burn a whole through the stove top and if this happened whilst asleep and without a co alarm for instance then fumes and gas from the stove would overcome and kill occupants.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This subject has been done to death. The facts are that any misuse of the eco fan can easily result in death. Such is the massive heat generated by them even at low speed. Reversing the direction would put such heat down through the base plate that it would burn a whole through the stove top and if this happened whilst asleep and without a co alarm for instance then fumes and gas from the stove would overcome and kill occupants.

Indeed, the increased use of them in recent years probably explains global warming. ??

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

Mine works fine!..Bought an original years ago,and it lasted until a few years ago.Then I bought a cheapo off ebay and it works fine.

Apparently not a good idea to place them where your friend has theirs,as you burn out the motor.

The idea is that you place them at the rear of the stove so it draws cold air from behind and below,and heats it as it passes over the top.

On the originals,there was a bimetallic strip under the base that lifted the base up from the burner if it got too hot,to protect the motor.

However,I have fitted my burner in the centre of my boat,so it may cause the fan to operating in a different way to one on a burner that is fitted into a tight corner?.

• 2 weeks later...

Not all stove fans are born equal: 

Obviously it's never going to move warm air all the way down the boat to the back cabin and makes little difference to the middle of the boat, but what it does do well is disrupt the stratification of air into hot and cold layers in the saloon - where I sit of a cold winter night - pushing hot air out from the stove top, drawing it in from the back and cycling it around the 10' saloon area - which is all that's required.  

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of these Stirling engine fans by any chance? Looks like a lot more air movement than I've ever seen on a thermoelectric ecofan.

Jen

One day I will treat myself, I don't care how much or little air it moves, I just want to sit and watch it

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of these Stirling engine fans by any chance? Looks like a lot more air movement than I've ever seen on a thermoelectric ecofan.

Jen

Yes, Stirling powered. Exactly that model. 

Edited by bagginz