Pumps....

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm trying to identify the various pumps on the boat to prepare for failure, be alert to leaks etc.

Under the kitchen sink I have a Jabsco 31395-0292 Par Max 2.9' pressure-controlled pump, which seems to have a filter attached - plumbed into the main water inlet from the tank. I don't see the filter when looking at pump replacements so assume its not part of the main pump?  anyone see if this is a serviceable/cleanable filter??

Under the bathroom sink I have the usual Whale Gulper 220, but also another pump - R4405-143A FLOJET PUMP 12v DC. I don't have any accumulator that I'm aware....

The two pumps seem to serve the same purpose so wonder is one used for a different use such as the shower, and is this usual??

Under bathroom sink:

20190803_112736.jpg

20190803_112748.jpg

Under kitchen sink - you can see the main on/off tap on the far right...

20190913_145404.jpg

Is this filter cleanable?

20190913_145509.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

Just now, PaulJ said:

The gulper makes an unmistakeable sound when you switch it on to drain the shower (presuming it is for the shower)

but when and how does the Flojet come on?

I'm not sure yet...… it is close to our Sunimarin pump out loo, if it could be involved in that?

10 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I'm not sure yet...… it is close to our Sunimarin pump out loo, if it could be involved in that?

Seems to have a washing machine hose attached on the outlet so should be easy to work out where it ends up hopefully. Interested where it is fed from though. And why. 

Guessing you have a seperate 'loo flush' tank ?

Edited by PaulJ
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Seems to have a washing machine hose attached on the outlet so should be easy to work out where it ends up hopefully. Interested where it is fed from though. And why. 

Guessing you have a seperate 'loo flush' tank ?

yes we do have a separate loo flush water tank...….  is this the favourite currently?   i'll have to open it all up and press the flush to see whats working and when....

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Excellent, any idea how as I can see bits in it and our cups of teas taste odd - think it may need a clean!

It will not effect the taste of ur tea, it stops crud such as rust blocking yer pump. If yer water isnt nice best just get a water filter jug such as Brita or put an inline filter in, very easy to do. Some of our boats have had tainted water but this boat is completely taint free.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

yes we do have a separate loo flush water tank...….  is this the favourite currently?   i'll have to open it all up and press the flush to see whats working and when....

Not favourite as its more expensive.Most  loos are plumbed in from domestic water supply. The one I have come across using a seperate flush tank was done to counteract the weight of the waste tank-ie as waste tank got fuller  the flush tank got emptier. Ingenious but expensive.

Excellent, any idea how as I can see bits in it and our cups of teas taste odd - think it may need a clean!

The filter on the Jabsco is a simple mesh screen which is fitted as an accessory to stop crud from your fresh water tank, indicating it's your cold free water pressure pump. It ought to be on the tank side of your pump.  The plastic cover unscrews (water off!) for rinsing the relatively big bits captured by the mesh, which is not doing the same job as a drinking water filter. 

The gulper is usually a waste water pump, so is probably for your shower, assuming your kitchen sink waste is separate and goes directly over the side by gravity through a skin fitting above the waterline. That isn't always the case.

The Flojet?  I think you may have sussed that, but the way to find out is definitely what you suggest below....

That technique will work to confirm absolutely what the other pumps are too.

Odd things can happen in narrowboat fit outs, so untested assumption is often not your friend! :)

• Greenie 2