Snarestone Tunnel, Ashby Canal

fittie

Featured Posts

I wouldn't call Snarestone Tunnel bendy, certainly not compared with Barnton and Saltersford Tunnels at the northern end of the Trent & Mersey, or Braunston Tunnel on the Grand Union.

However give that the northern reaches of the Ashby Canal were abandoned because of mining subsidence, it is also the likely reason for Snarestone Tunnel. Indeed the roof dips noticeably in places, a sure sign of subsidence.

59 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I wouldn't call Snarestone Tunnel bendy, certainly not compared with Barnton and Saltersford Tunnels at the northern end of the Trent & Mersey, or Braunston Tunnel on the Grand Union.

Perhaps not, but it's only 250 yards long! That's quite a bit of wiggle for a little 'un.

I must admit that I do not think of Braunston Tunnel as being bendy but it does have some bends in it and as Athy says Snarestone is only 250 metres long and boating through it it seems quite wiggly to me.

Is that too many ands?

There is, on You Tube, a video of a [passage through the tunnel from the terminus end. At first sight, the far portal is visible but looks pinched and thin because of the bend(s). Only during the last minute and a half of the five-minute journey is the full portal visible.

48 minutes ago, fittie said:

I also think that Froghall Tunnel is a tad low, just saying that's all.

Yes it is, though we have never been through that one. I believe that the water level through it was lowered by a few inches quite recently, making it a bit less drastic.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes it is, though we have never been through that one. I believe that the water level through it was lowered by a few inches quite recently, making it a bit less drastic.

Yes it was  but there is still insufficient headroom for many boats. I Had to moor and walk over the top to the basin.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not that recently, it was before we went through in 2007, but it was definitely a lot easier that time.

Regarding Snarestone, is it really too narrow or too low to allow 2 way traffic? I'm sure I can remember passing another boat in there once in the distant past.

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Not that recently, it was before we went through in 2007, but it was definitely a lot easier that time.

Regarding Snarestone, is it really too narrow or too low to allow 2 way traffic? I'm sure I can remember passing another boat in there once in the distant past.

I believe that if two boats met on one of the kinks they would be in danger of getting stuck. As the video which I mentioned shows, you could probably pass another boat near the entrance.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

I don’t think could pass two boats, the roof dips down too much for a boat to be able to use the full width of the tunnel.  Perhaps you could pass at the south end, but there does not seem to be any point in passing a boat in such a short tunnel.  Hopefully it is signed as one way working!