Avon Ring 1977 - Pse help identify locations

ribvanwinkle

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, fatmanblue said:

If you are thinking of doing the Avon Ring again after 42 years, I would suggest doing it clockwise. 

And certainly if you have a long (69ft or longer) boat.  Going down stream, on the lower Avon, we find we get wedged between the cill and the lower gates, in a number of the locks.  Going uphill, the prowl of the bow, just sits enough over the cill to make things a little less stressful!

On 25/11/2019 at 16:32, ribvanwinkle said:

Abbey Mill it is!

https://millsarchive.org/explore/mills/entry/5051/abbey-mill-tewkesbury

I just didn't think to 'google map' below the Severn Junction.

Thanks for that.

As far as the lock is concerned, I have 'google mapped' the length of the river and can't spot a lock where the river bends to stbd and there are boats moored ahead. It may have been rebuilt? On this rainy November night, I'll do some more searching.

The pub hasn't raised any suggestions so far - Iguess I'll have to visit every one on the route next Spring?

Regards

Bob

Well worth checking out the pies!

Could the pub be The Brandy Cask,Pershore which sadly closed a few years ago.

There was a riverside mooring,and I seem to remember some mock tudor internal decoration.

The Star Inn next door still exists but has been heavily refurbed.It still has a toilet door in the position shown in the photo close to the window however ,so another suggestion.

As I'm not local to that area,just a vague guess at this stage.

Edited by Quaffer

15 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

And certainly if you have a long (69ft or longer) boat.  Going down stream, on the lower Avon, we find we get wedged between the cill and the lower gates, in a number of the locks.  Going uphill, the prowl of the bow, just sits enough over the cill to make things a little less stressful!

Then you'd be going anticlockwise not clockwise

2 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Could the pub be The Brandy Cask,Pershore which sadly closed a few years ago.

There was a riverside mooring,and I seem to remember some mock tudor internal decoration.

The Star Inn next door still exists but has been heavily refurbed.It still has a toilet door in the position shown in the photo close to the window however ,so another suggestion.

Using only logic/guesswork, certainly not memory, and assuming the lock is Pershore (in good daylight) , it would be unlikely we would have moored up early for the evening there especially as the one place I do recall mooring is Evesham - not too far distant.

Thanks for the thought.

13 minutes ago, ribvanwinkle said:

Using only logic/guesswork, certainly not memory, and assuming the lock is Pershore (in good daylight) , it would be unlikely we would have moored up early for the evening there especially as the one place I do recall mooring is Evesham - not too far distant.

Thanks for the thought.

If you can recall the towns or villages where you did stop for a drink that may jog a few memories of the pub you visited.

• 4 weeks later...

Final mystery solved (virtually certain!).

The pub is the Britannia on Tewkesbury High Street. Turning south once through the Severn/Avon lock and mooring up, it could be the nearest pub (sounds like that crew's norm).

Here's a photo from a current website. The similarities are distinct despite some alterations.

1850220944_BritanniaInnTewkesbury.jpg.c078394ac674459a93888a199bbf3eae.jpg

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my query and a very Merry Christmas

Bob

• Happy 1