Stroudwater Canal

nebulae

Featured Posts

I see that the contract has been let by Gloucestershire County Council for the building of the new canal section under the Bristol Road roundabout. This involves the canal going under both carriageways of the roundabout and I think ,a new lock to replace the old Bristol Road Lock.  The contractor is Alun Griffiths. They recently finished the Newtown(Powys) bypass and have made a briliant job of it. Work due to start soon. This is the first stage of the conection between the Gloucester and Sharpness canal at Saul and the restored section below Dock Lock.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Have to say that that proposed canal, along with the Wilts and Berks Canal are the two that I'd love to see completed in my lifetime.

As a member of both societies, I thoroughly agree.

Being slightly pedantic, the new contract only covers the work to connect the two sides of the roundabout. The new lock E of the roundabout is part of the phase 1b restoration which awaits HLF funding.

Good to hear about the contractor!

Martin/

Went to see the plans this evening at an open meeting, they start work next Monday on site preparation with work proper starting in the new year with completion next October. The tunnel under the road on the north west side of the A38 roundabout will be done first with 2 way traffic the wrong way round the other side of the roundabout then the south east side. That will cause some confusion.

On 24/11/2019 at 23:22, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Have to say that that proposed canal, along with the Wilts and Berks Canal are the two that I'd love to see completed in my lifetime.

They would be nice to see finished, as would the Wey & Arun as it would add a route to the coast.

So long as the contractor does a better job that they did when they rebuilt Dudbridge lock 5 years ago (whose I had the pleasure of undoing this summer) then it'll be brilliant.  Loads of volunteer progress being made every year rebuilding it, it's great fun, get involved!

• Greenie 1