Nets AND (cellular) blinds?

Featured Posts

So, after much deliberation (and, although offer accepted, still subject to survey so not saying too much yet), I think I may have found our 'liveaboard' boat. Merlin No 1 [linky here I hope] is lovely. But for full-time I really needed something more boring so the smaller creatures are less near engines, stoves and so forth.

So, anyway, the blinds in Potential New Boat (PNB) are a wee bit mouldy/were white to start with so a bit too good at looking like garibaldis anyway... and so I was thinking to replace with cellular (honeycomb) ones for the extra insulation as there are lots of hopper windows which will be colder than our current portholes. Thing is I really need nets too when we're moored. With curtains (which I'll have where I can afford velvety ones) voiles on wires will be fine. With roller blinds you can get a sort of double-blind holder at the top so, one voile roller/one coloured one, and you're sorted. I'm not sure what to do with cellular ones though... Does anyone have any with nets as well? Do you put the blinds on the inside or outside?

Our moorings are side-by-side so both light and privacy/not shocking the neighbours are aims!

We had some blinds made to measure by cabincare.co.uk. Ours weren't cellular, but I know they do cellular too. Ours were made to fit into the window recess, so you could have nets in front if you wanted. They're not cheap, but they are good.

Sorry, can't find a photo of them at the moment.

Ooh, yes. Boxed-in blinds (save needing to look at the odd cut edges on the cellular blinds) and voiles on top sound good. Can always gradually swap to curtains once the initial 'OMG it'll be like living in a floating greenhouse, what do I do with all this glass?!?' wears off.

I'll be down to two portholes, and even they are more dinner plate than saucer sized. They are frosted which is handy (in heads) - so, thinking bungs for those. I'd quite like fancy 'Curtains for' ones but they are way too much. I've seen Farmer Pumpkin on-line but no idea what their prices are like... Cheapo ones off eBay are less than those IKEA blinds so possibly a good bet regardless.

I'm definitely prepared to 'blink first' on the looking into each others windows thing - I'm not yet super-confident wandering along my gunnels so tend to look down at my feet - and noticed how good a view I got into neighbours (galley only fortunately) windows!

• 1 month later...

Christmas dinner afloat achieved (hurrah!) I'm thinking to get some real insulation sorted... 

Measured up today. Is it OK to screw blinds into the boards which form the 'walls' (lining?) of my cabin or do I need to keep them screwed onto the wooden window frames?

It turns out the standard drop for little cafe nets wd look nice on the frames but with blinds above (for plenty of hopper clearance). 

Yours in Boxing Day non-shopping joy, 

xx

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

On 26/12/2019 at 22:21, WotEver said:

If it’s securely fixed, why not? It’s your boat :)

I'm not used to that idea yet! :-)

It feels pretty secure - I guess I was worried about making holes for condensation to drip through or something. But thinking about it little holes (filled with screws) over insulation are hardly going to be as bad as windows!