Spluttering taps

SusieC

Featured Posts

Thanks to previous posts on the topic of spluttering taps I was able to go straight to 2 things, first the accumulator tank has good pressure in it 18psi, second, the water pump on the intake side - is has a drip, that looks like its from the casing. Question is is that fixable or is that buy a new pump?

the pump is mounted on a bracket above the accumulator, fist picture is the drip coming from the screw to the left of the red cable (no, water isn’t anywhere near the cable or it’s attachment), 2nd picture is the whole pump

56E5EE4C-63F1-4798-A3CF-27D78F78702F.jpeg.b60b8022e44b6017cd40dc32410e77cb.jpeg10159126-8D8A-402A-9BC9-289860CFAFB0.jpeg.db297d3fa3e86a0017c1c284c5fcbbb3.jpeg

Susie,

Always, ALWAYS just buy a new pump. Buy two in fact so when this new one fails, you have another on hand to fit immediately.

It's a lesson most of us have learned., that mending water pumps is more grief than its worth. They never stay mended. 

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

Theoretically they are repairable, practically, few people succeed. It is a Vetus pump so expect to pay through the nose for spares.

Try gently tightening the weepy screw, if that does not work, replace the pump.  It appears to have quick fit connectors so should not be difficult. You may find they will fit into another make of pump, such as a Johnson.

N

Noses tend to drip too when coming into the warm from the cold outside. Ceramic valve taps tend to leak at the body when used with hard water, the limescale upsets the ceramic discs, I've had to renew loads around here. With traditional taps with rubber washer valves it pays to when turning them off to turn off gently and stop as soon as the water stops dribbling out. Tightening the tap down hard tends to squash and seems to harden the washer which usually makes the tap drip after a while no matter how hard you turn it off.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Susie,

Always, ALWAYS just buy a new pump. Buy two in fact so when this new one fails, you have another on hand to fit immediately.

It's a lesson most of us have learned., that mending water pumps is more grief than its worth. They never stay mended. 

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

Disagree. Reluctantly. With all my trials and tribulations of late, including water based issues, I can say in all honesty that I have fixed our water pump three times now, and it lasts approximately five years between fixes. So, in 15 years of ownership three more pumps would have set me back, say, £240. Repair kits about thirty quid. Maybe a little bit more. Can't remember he last one, its about five years ago. Oh dear, where's the nearest Chandlers.

your pump looks like it's just the diaphragm that has perished. Mind you, I can see the word Vetus. That says to me, expensive. So, shop around see if you can get a repair kit. If not buy new. Ours is an older Sureflo. New ones aren't as good, allegedly, there are others available. Good luck.

Pumps last much longer if the things switch off and pressure relieved by cracking open a tap when not in use, like over night.  Never ever leave the pump switch on when boat is unattended especially if it has plastic pipework with plastic joints.

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Disagree. Reluctantly. With all my trials and tribulations of late, including water based issues, I can say in all honesty that I have fixed our water pump three times now, and it lasts approximately five years between fixes. 

It might depend on the brand of pump. I fixed my shurflow aquaking with a new diagram when it leaked and it only lasted another year. In my opinion they're poor quality pumps even the older ones (mine was a 2004 model). The next one I fixed was a jabsco parmax 3 when it started sucking in air and 3 years on it's still fine. I believe that was a permanent fix or if not and it starts inhaling air again it's a very easy fix. 

As the OP's pump is a vetus parts will be expensive so that might sway me in favour of a different brand of new pump, but I'd try taking it apart and sealing it up with a bit of Stixall first. It's got to be worth a try for a tube of sealant for a fiver. Plus no boat should be without a tube of Stixall! 

Edited by blackrose

55 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Mind you, I can see the word Vetus. That says to me, expensive.

That label is peeling at the edges - might be worth pulling it off to find if it says "Jabsco" or similar underneath!  That said, it wouldn't be difficult to replace the Vetus with, say, the ubiquitous Jabsco anyway as the mounting method is similar. Those push in and clip pipe fittings look the same too, but a Jabsco comes with a set anyway so again an easy change.

30 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I would try eBay. You never know.

I'd say for Vetus parts, Vetus have the monopoly. Will be cheaper to buy a new pump than a Vetus repair kit, I predict. IF they sell the kit in the first place that is!

So no service kit available for that model, new pump to be purchased, interestingly a Vetus and a Parabax (Jabsco) with similar liters and psi are similar price, Whale is €30 more expensive, does it matter what make or will I go with the one with similar fittings/attachments?

If the leak is on the inlet side of the pump, then with pump working it will draw air in and cause the taps to splutter (air /water mixture) Check the 'O' rings on pumps connections first and it may only cost you pence rather than a whole new pump.

I know this from experience !

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, SusieC said:

So no service kit available for that model, new pump to be purchased, interestingly a Vetus and a Parabax (Jabsco) with similar liters and psi are similar price, Whale is €30 more expensive, does it matter what make or will I go with the one with similar fittings/attachments?

I have found Whale to be better but the convenience of not having to alter plumbing is also important, particularly if the location is awkward.

On 25/11/2019 at 21:20, SusieC said:

It's up to you really. You'll probably have to do so a bit of work to fit a new pump unless you're lucky and it has the same fittings, but your choice of pump should be based on pump specs (flow rate and pressure to suit your system) not the fittings which anyone can change.

The pump should be fitted with a strainer upstream of the pump and with short lengths of flexible braided hose to/from the pump rather than directly to rigid pipe as this copes better with the pump vibration.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

My shower waste pump worked until I removed and cleaned filter, motor now whirs but to no avail.

Buy a whale gulper 220. It doesn't have a filter and requires no cleaning. Mine's still going strong after 15 years with no servicing. Fit and forget.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, this. 

It is in a very awkward place, just hoped I could resurrect existing system. There is a "pot", a sort of home made "sediment" trap between the shower outlet and the filter, then the pump, I think the pump is about level with the shower drain, is this critical?