Star City: Star mooring??

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I've always had this held up to me as being a safe mooring for Birmingham ..............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-50536472

I think it is safe. But you would have had a good view of the shenanigans from the other side of the locked gate!

4 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I've always had this held up to me as being a safe mooring for Birmingham ..............

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-50536472

There's a locked gate between the mooring and the complex. You'll be fine unless the gangsters remembered to pick up their watermate keys along with their machetes.

MP.

ETA: Nick beat me to it!

Edited by MoominPapa

Just now, alan_fincher said:

It's not hard to get from one side of the fence to the other with no key - or at least not if you are young and agile.

True, but why would they bother? There was obviously some gang warfare going on, they were interested in killing each other, they are not interested in some old duffers on a narrowboat!

• Greenie 1

Just now, nicknorman said:

True, but why would they bother? There was obviously some gang warfare going on, they were interested in killing each other, they are not interested in some old duffers on a narrowboat!

Yes, I agree, but we have had to persuade kids not to climb over towards the boats on a stop there on one occasion, so it's not like some safe moorings.

Just now, Aquarat said:

It's fine. Last time we were there the lovely security guards turned the cameras on us and did us proud. Rather be there than some places. No accounting for street war though...

The very first time we considered mooring there we went by road to suss it out. I was peering over the fence for about 10 seconds before a security guard approached and asked “Can I help you?” - which is polite-speak for “what do you think you’re doing there!”. Obviously I explained, and he said it was fine there as there was loads of CCTV.

We left the moorings there at 20.30 in June 2018 as there was trouble at the visitor moorings. The gate is only say 1.2m high and the fence Does not exist down towards the bridge. We had a group of 6 lads jump the gate, then threatened to stone us later from the far bank. We were happy to have our big GSD on board but decided to move to the Cuttle Bridge Inn over night. Got there at 22.30 after a lovely late evening Summer cruise. 

2 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

A couple of years ago we moored up near the football ground at St Andrews, an got into a debacle with some local lads who, at one point, we were sure had hidden something in our gas locker when they boarded the front of the boat.  Anyhow, we became spooked and decided to move on at about 7pm.  We hammered it down towards Star City, followed all the way, on the towpath, by some other, slightly older lads, who we took to be associates.  When we got to SC, at dusk, we had to breast  up as the moorings were full, but we were so glad to be behind that locked gate. Needless to say we stripped out all of the front lockers, but nothing suspect was found,

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Peter Thornton said:

Safest mooring is Gas Street at party conference time. Last time we had a policeman with a sub machine gun looking after us. No bother that night!

Last time I was in Birmingham with armed police around they ate all the bacon rolls in the coffee shop which was a bit annoying.