Traditional vs Reversed Layout

longstreath

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My definition of a proper dog is one that you dont have to bend down to pat. ?

I currently have a GSD (Alsation was a name given to them after WW1, to prevent small minded people killing because of their German association). Providing he is regularly brushed and bathed he doesn't smell except when wet, as do all dogs have that distinctive "damp dog" smell when wet.

yeah GSD is more doglike but seems to shed a lot, on other hand they can swim well. When I sit near dogs on public transport, I dont smell anything, so I guess its the confined space like a house that makes it worse. (apart from not cleaning them)

Anyway, I dont even have a boat, let alone dog, its a problem for future. :)

• Greenie 1

What about a Poo'dle. They come in three sizes and two main colours B/W, Toy, Minature and Standard, handy for small, medium or large boats.  Good swimmers, don't moult, don't stink and the big Standard job can make ferocious guard dogs

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

What about a Poo'dle. They come in three sizes and two main colours B/W, Toy, Minature and Standard, handy for small, medium or large boats.  Good swimmers, don't moult, don't stink and the big Standard job can make ferocious guard dogs

I've got a duck.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, longstreath said:

He has adopted a pseudonym and answers (sometimes) to Djinn nowadays. Scares most people until he opens his mouth and a rather pathetic miaow comes out.....

You are harbouring a fugitive who is a member of the Feline Liberation Front and is on the run from  D.O.G.S. , also known, as the Canine Intelligence Service and M.E.O.W.S. (Mousers Enforcing Our World's Safety).

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Reverse layout. No chance of spilling a cup of tea all over the bedding when taking it from the galley to the steerer.

Jen ?

Exactly the reason both my boats have been rebuilt to have gallies in the stern, for me better by design 

Reverse layout works for me because I have the right sort of reverse layout.  Cruiser stern, main entrance at the stern, then going forward kitchen --> living room --> bathroom --> bedroom.  The bonus benefit is that it puts my stove right in the centre of the boat.  So lots of heat to either end.  No need for an eco fan.

When I was boat buying I looked at a boat which had a truly bizarre layout.  It was a nice boat in lots of ways and the price was good but I couldn't have lived with it.  It was also a cruiser stern with the main entrance at the stern but inside it went kitchen --> bathroom --> bedroom --> living room.  I just couldn't get my head around it.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Reverse layout works for me because I have the right sort of reverse layout.  Cruiser stern, main entrance at the stern, then going forward kitchen --> living room --> bathroom --> bedroom.  The bonus benefit is that it puts my stove right in the centre of the boat.  So lots of heat to either end.  No need for an eco fan.

When I was boat buying I looked at a boat which had a truly bizarre layout.  It was a nice boat in lots of ways and the price was good but I couldn't have lived with it.  It was also a cruiser stern with the main entrance at the stern but inside it went kitchen --> bathroom --> bedroom --> living room.  I just couldn't get my head around it.

Exactly my layout but with dinette between kitchen and bathroom. Gives my best of both layouts with relaxing space away from all the work areas

Just now, bastion said:

Exactly my layout but with dinette between kitchen and bathroom. Gives my best of both layouts with relaxing space away from all the work areas

They had a mini dinette/breakfast bar.  I still found it utterly daft.  I'm watching tv, and I have to squeeze through the kitchen and bathroon (it was a walk through) to get drinks/snacks?  No chance.  It also meant the boat was divided up by bulkheads into lots of little rooms, making the boat seem claustrophobic and much smaller.

Also having a bathroom next to a kitchen just feels wrong.  Like it must be unhygenic.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a large kitchen dining area heated by the Rayburn, it also has a bed setee in it, if the weather is good the wheelhouse makes a lovely dining area. The bathroom is in the corridor which leads to the bedroom/lounge  remember this is a widebeam so it's all large full size furniture, I had a couple of layout rejigs before settling on this one. 

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's what we have too. Works very well for us.

• 9 months later...