Changing standard inline fuel filter

Featured Posts

The Delphi/ CAV 296 filter head is 1/2 20 tpi UNF IIRC.  You can make one from a 3/8 BSP male fitting if you have the gear, or they are available on line for various pipe sizes.

N

Edited by BEngo
Correct size.

The one mounted on the engine has metric threads, and I can’t see any reason to change it unless it’s broken. The one in the fuel line from the tank to engine will be whatever the boat builder installed of the day. It could be a Vetus branded item if supplied as part of the engine kit, but again why change it if it isn’t broke? A photo could be useful, especially a close up of the pipe fittings.

19 hours ago, Chezzonmark said:

Hi have been recommended to change the inline fuel filter for a cav type.

Should you decide to do this (but why do you need to ?) be VERY careful with what you buy.

As standard they come with a polycarbonate or glass (clear) bottom which is a BSS Failure, you need to ensure you get the one that is BSS acceptable (a steel bottom)

When it says 'marine' in means Sea-Going, it does not mean it is Inland Waterways approved.

Some of the glass ones are acceptable to the BSS if you change the plastic screw (in the bottom of the bowl) with a steel screw.

Image result for cav fuel filter

Single Fuel Filter Assembly Cav Glass Bowl M14 X 1.5mm with FREE SPARE FILTER

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Chezzonmark said:

So it was rcr that advised me to change it. The reason is that the screwthread in the housing is stripped and i assume i have the standard vetus model fitted

Ah, OK. There are screw on filter mountings other than the CAV type which may be worth considering since some folk have difficulty with correctly seating  the separate seal CAV type. There are plenty of commercial vehicle metal spin on pre-filters with BSS compliant metal water drain plugs. 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I bet its one of these new washable never suffer from the bug again filters.

I have one of these at the tank outlet 

Capture.JPG

?How Much?  (an expletive, not a question.

SSL diesel parts (dot co UK) do them cheaper as well as stocking (most of) other filters you may need.

Very reasonable carriage if you realise that they come from the uttermost parts of This Realm.

45 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, OK. There are screw on filter mountings other than the CAV type which may be worth considering since some folk have difficulty with correctly seating  the separate seal CAV type. There are plenty of commercial vehicle metal spin on pre-filters with BSS compliant metal water drain plugs. 

Ok thanks

21 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

?How Much?  (an expletive, not a question.

SSL diesel parts (dot co UK) do them cheaper as well as stocking (most of) other filters you may need.

Very reasonable carriage if you realise that they come from the uttermost parts of This Realm.

I just went to the first place where I knew there would be a photo of one with a metal bowl. Now there is more information I go along with the idea of a screw on one

• Greenie 2

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As standard they come with a polycarbonate or glass (clear) bottom which is a BSS Failure, you need to ensure you get the one that is BSS acceptable (a steel bottom)

Some of the glass ones are acceptable to the BSS if you change the plastic screw (in the bottom of the bowl) with a steel screw.

Alternatively , Racor filters with the transparent bowl ,if fitted with the heat shield, are BSS compliant.