Denham Deep GU

Featured Posts

See this on Facebook-I havent recieved this update but its on the stoppage site-Like the 'may' bit!

29/11/2019 16:28

Denham Lock Update:

Please be informed that Denham Deep Lock remains closed and won’t be opened as anticipated for this weekend. We are continuously reviewing the situation, and we envisage the lock may re-open to narrowboat passage mid - next week.

Thanks for your understanding and please contact our Customer Service Team on 03030404040 for further assistance.

49 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

A few pics on London Boaters facebook if you are interested - doesn't look too good.

Yep -Very. Thanks Stationmaster. If thats the ones posted by Gold B have seen them-shall await 'the limited assisted passage' with bated breath.  Oxford Canal over Xmas is looking good ?

IMG201912011522411575213809.jpg

Disclaimer: Stolen image. 

Anyway it looks a bit dodgy. I wonder if they are thinking of letting narrow boats through (careful now) with that 2 inch ratchet strap holding the gate on. 

Health and safety risk assessment ? 

To be fair it probably would hold but the woodwork above and below the collar strap area is obviously completely rotten. Slightly different failure mode to the other side but still a nackered lock gate.  

Date plate on the gate is 2001. Time for new gates here me thinks. Could be an interesting little job that. 

ETA possibly a bad advert for composite lock gates. Steel balance beam and wooden gate structure might be a bad combination specially on tall gates. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, StationMaster said:

Just spoken to CRT, they are still hoping to open the lock for restrictive passage but not until the end of the week. Make of that what you wish...

As you are the second person I have heard this from I will be cautiously optimistic ?

5 hours ago, StationMaster said:

Just spoken to CRT, they are still hoping to open the lock for restrictive passage but not until the end of the week. Make of that what you wish...

A friend of mine was told the same thing, assisted passage for single narrowboat booked in advance

05/12/2019 13:02

Update:

After the completion of boat passage trial yesterday, Denham Deep Lock was deemed too unsafe to operate and requires additional anchor support, narrowboat passage is anticipated to commence following the additional gate securing measures from W/C 16th December to allow for the concrete to fully cure.

A longer term solution is being worked on by the local Construction team.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The offside bottom timber heel post has a vertical split and is currently unsafe to operate; the navigation will remain closed whilst the repair is carried out. The repair consists of steel re-enforcement plate which replaces the heel.

The work to stabilise the damaged gate commenced Thursday 12th December, on Saturday, the contractor lifted the balance beam to assess further the fix which highlighted further fabrication, we are forecasting to be complete by Wednesday 18th December

A fair bit of movement of boats today in anticipation...