First Time Boat Move...

matty40s

Featured Posts

Haulage company call to say a flat bed truck will be collecting a boat, is there anything they need to know. ...

Dont forget to bring sleepers to sit the boat on..

Why do we need sleepers, it's a flat bottom boat isnt it?

So we can get the lifting straps out from under the boat. 

I thought that all boats had a ring on the roof for lifting??

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Haulage company call to say a flat bed truck will be collecting a boat, is there anything they need to know. ...

Dont forget to bring sleepers to sit the boat on..

Why do we need sleepers, it's a flat bottom boat isnt it?

So we can get the lifting straps out from under the boat. 

I thought that all boats had a ring on the roof for lifting??

Oops!

• Greenie 1

It was done, the driver lashed the 45 foot boat down with 4 ratchet straps over the top. 

Nothing was done to prevent forward or backwards movement under heavy braking which is usually done....even though this was suggested.

Whether it arrived in one piece, we know not, the owner hadn't even been told it was happening on that day either.!!

When I had my bare shell craned in by a large crane company 20 odd years ago they attempted to do so using strops. They didn't use any type of spreader. One of the marina staff noticed a strop slide along the baseplate and it was instantly sliced almost in half. A urgent shout and it was immediately dropped back onto the flatbed. Several phone calls and about 4 hours later some chains appeared from a depot 50 miles away when the lift was completed. An interesting and instructive day. :cloud9: