Winter mooring or CCing round bath area

Eloisec93

Featured Posts

Hey 

So we have just bought our second boat she is such an upgrade from my previous boat! I've gone from 26ft to 45ft! Which is very exciting!!

We didn't think we would be buying so quickly but this boat came up and we just had that feeling it was the right boat when we viewed it and we bought it.

Anyway we have bought it at a very tricky time. Ideally we would like to be on a winter mooring until the river calms down and we can be closer to Bristol. 

But we have searched and searched the marinas, the CRT moorings, we have gone to the marinas in person in hope of having better luck that way. 

But unfortunately we haven't found anything. I've searched the forums for any leads but most posts are from a few years ago so I thought I would ask again to see if anyone had any leads or insights!

Does anyone know of somewhere a 45ft narrowboat could moore up for winter? Close to bath or Bristol? 

Failing that we could cc around the bath area. But me and my boyfriend are new to cc'ing this area.

What areas can you stay for 14days? Details of these places would help us out a bunch!

Edited by Eloisec93

Where is the boat at the moment, and how close to Bristol do you need to be?  Thinking laterally, what about the Gloucester and Sharpness?  Miles by water, but no so far by road!

There are currently moorings at Victoria Basin in a Gloucester...

Edited by The Dreamer

27 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Where is the boat at the moment, and how close to Bristol do you need to be?  Thinking laterally, what about the Gloucester and Sharpness?  Miles by water, but no so far by road!

I was thinking similar, there is also Saul Junction marina, which is very nice.

If you haven't contacted them already you could try the Bristol harbour master to see if they have any winter mooring spaces that were not taken up  or Bristol Marina (within the harbour).   Other than that - Bath Marina, Saltford Marina, Keynsham Marina, Phoenix Boat Yard - Keynsham and the offside moorings at Hanham might be worth trying.  Lots of people CC around Bradford and Bath,  lots of close stations  at Trowbridge, Bradford, Freshford, Avoncliff and Bath.  It's a bit of an enforcement hotspot so need to stick to the rules.  Great community - see the Facebook Group and the Kanda Community Website.  

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

I have had a look at the moorings at Victoria basin but they say leisure only! How strict are they with how many nights you stay??? How do they monitor it?

7 minutes ago, Eloisec93 said:

I have had a look at the moorings at Victoria basin but they say leisure only! How strict are they with how many nights you stay??? How do they monitor it?

It used to say OXO on the side of buses but they didnt sell them!!

8 minutes ago, Eloisec93 said:

The basin isn’t a marina, it’s part of the Waterside set up, so not manned at all.  Frankly, if you don’t make a nusance of yourself, you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It used to say OXO on the side of buses but they didnt sell them!!

Or what he said...

39 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Saul is full, or was when we moved back there for the winter a couple of months ago.

Not surprised to be honest.  We have been there twice for a month each time in the early summer, and there has been space, but can see it would be a popular winter mooring location.

If you are cc'ing you could bounce around Bath - BoA - Semington for the winter months and then make a point of getting good miles in (Bristol to Pewsey?) once it gets warmer. Not as easy as a winter mooring but on the flip side less costs and a regular change of view. If you took a winter mooring you would still need to get the miles in anyway.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

If you took a winter mooring you would still need to get the miles in anyway.

Wrong!
If you pay for a Winter Mooring with CaRT then you are not required to move during the period of your Agreement.
Can I suggest that before you give any more "advice" you get your facts straight.

22 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Wrong!
If you pay for a Winter Mooring with CaRT then you are not required to move during the period of your Agreement.
Can I suggest that before you give any more "advice" you get your facts straight.

You really are being quite rude tonight Graham, and I've not been posting.

• Happy 1

50 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Wrong!

No you aren't, but you still have to move the required range over the 12 month period of your license - winter mooring taken or not. 

You would have to be mentally retarded to think you had to move during the period that you have a mooring agreement that means that you don't have to move..... are you certain you haven't been drinking?

Edited by wiltshirewonderer

6 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

No you aren't, but you still have to move the required range over the 12 month period of your license - winter mooring taken or not. 

Surely its not difficult to move within the required RANGE of 20 miles for the remaining 6 or 7 months when you are not on a mooring.

Many would do that in a day.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Surely its not difficult to move within the required RANGE of 20 miles for the remaining 6 or 7 months when you are not on a mooring.

Many would do that in a day.

Funny I have just been reading a thread like that, having to move 20 miles in a year.

26 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

You would have to be mentally retarded to think you had to move during the period that you have a mooring agreement that means that you don't have to move..... are you certain you haven't been drinking?

I suggest you read what you originally said. And frankly if someone can't manage to move the 20+ miles required regularly in the other months then they shouldn't be boating or should do what all right thinking boaters do and pay for a mooring. It really isn't that difficult, even on the western end of the K & A.

And I suggest you cut out the personal insults if you wish to be treated with any respect.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

You really are being quite rude tonight Graham, and I've not been posting.

Yep, an unnecessary snarkiness across two threads that do this forum no favours at all. It is possible to put your point across without being rude.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Have you pointed that out to wiltshire wanderer? 

There's a big difference between folks who are trying to be helpful and those that nastily judge others.

Wiltshire Wanderer was trying to be helpful, Graham was being an unhelpful arse. Simples.

I think we all know where the respective posters fall.

I sleep well at night.

You clearly have a different set of morals than me.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

On 22/11/2019 at 13:58, Eloisec93 said:

What areas can you stay for 14days?

As I understand it, all visitor moorings that are normally restricted (to 48 hours or whatever) default to 14 days during stoppage season unless there's a sign specifically saying '48 hours all year round' or similar. So I think the answer is 'all areas'.

11 hours ago, magictime said:

As I understand it, all visitor moorings that are normally restricted (to 48 hours or whatever) default to 14 days during stoppage season unless there's a sign specifically saying '48 hours all year round' or similar. So I think the answer is 'all areas'.

A lot of VMs on the K&A have just such signs. 

On the other hand enforcement seems to have virtually ceased here now. Boat opposite me has been there six weeks now.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A lot of VMs on the K&A have just such signs. 

On the other hand enforcement seems to have virtually ceased here now. Boat opposite me has been there six weeks now.

Is it crowded on the canals round bath at the moment?

On 23/11/2019 at 05:12, Ange said:

There's a big difference between folks who are trying to be helpful and those that nastily judge others.

Wiltshire Wanderer was trying to be helpful, Graham was being an unhelpful arse. Simples.

I think we all know where the respective posters fall.

I sleep well at night.

You clearly have a different set of morals than me.

is Wiltshire Wanderer the same person as Wiltshire Wonderer?

without trying to be judgemental the former sounds like a genuine cc'er and the latter sounds like a dream merchant. ......  maybe a cm'er wondering how long he'll get away with it?

I'm sure he'll let us know in short order.