First Boat - GRP

Overthebridge

Featured Posts

We have just got EOG mooring and are looking for our boat. We have a small budget and the boat will just be used for leisure and some continuous crusing whilst we have an extension put on our house next year, which may involve 3 months + away moored up shoreline. To keep our mooring/licence fees down and to go with our small budget we are looking to spend around £8-£10k and no bigger than 38ft and must fit on the narrow canals.

We did look at narrowboats but for our budget there wasn't much with a fixed bed and those that didn't need significant work which we aren't yet comfortable doing and as we may end up moored up shoreline for a while the whole galvanic corrosion worries me. So we have been looking into GRPs which seem to fit into our budget and have far more favourable and practical layouts, particularly if we are living on it for a longer period of time.

I've narrowed the list down, musts are:

-Diesel

- Fixed bed/seperate bed area 

- Shower

Our general preference is for those around 32ft and the centre cockpit ones seem to be very practical due to space and we have considered:

- Dawncraft

- Highbridge Crusader (tend to be petrol)

- Norman

- Nauticus

- Creighton

Creighton seem to be well reviewed and I'm just wondering if anyone has any other insights.

Thanks

Morgan Giles Mariner is another one to look out for. 

Not that many about but they turn up now and then. There is a website about them 

https://www.morgangilesarchive.org.uk/index.php/the-vessels/motor/narrow-boat/241-moonraker-ex-tyford-mariner

Edited by magnetman

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Morgan Giles Mariner is another one to look out for. 

Not that many about but they turn up now and then. There is a website about them 

https://www.morgangilesarchive.org.uk/index.php/the-vessels/motor/narrow-boat/241-moonraker-ex-tyford-mariner

I've not heard of them. They are definitely a consideration, really like them.

All the boats mentioned are usually outboard petrol powered.Diesel powered will nine times out of ten have a troublesome and expensive to service and repair transom drive.They are better suited to coastal and river boats because on canals they get a bit of a battering.

Outboards don't usually have much battery charging capacity so can be a problem on a livaboard.

Heating needs to be considered too.GRP boats usually have gas or diesel blown air systems,although I have seen a couple with solid fuel and Refleks diesel stoves.

Centre cockpit boats,I personally don't like because they are usually cramped.

Although I own a Norman,I think the best choice out of the boats listed would be the Highbridge Crusader.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

All the boats mentioned are usually outboard petrol powered.Diesel powered will nine times out of ten have a troublesome and expensive to service and repair transom drive.They are better suited to coastal and river boats because on canals they get a bit of a battering.

Outboards don't usually have much battery charging capacity so can be a problem on a livaboard.

Heating needs to be considered too.GRP boats usually have gas or diesel blown air systems,although I have seen a couple with solid fuel and Refleks diesel stoves.

Centre cockpit boats,I personally don't like because they are usually cramped.

Although I own a Norman,I think the best choice out of the boats listed would be the Highbridge Crusader.

Another consideration is ease of access.Most GRP cruisers you have to step down into and step up to exit ducking under the conopy if you cruise with it up.No problem for a few locks,but 15 to 20 locks a day solo and it becomes a bit fatiguing.

This is where the narrowboat is better,in that you just step on and off the counter.