Man threatens to blow up boat on canal

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

That nice Mr Athy only applies the rules when it suits him, as any fule kno.

Which is always, as any fule kno - not that yu are a fule, but I wonder why you made such a comment.

At least you acknowledged that I was nice.

My understanding is that posters should not promote the other site. Giving a link to a news story is not, in my view, promoting the site.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Which is always, as any fule kno - not that yu are a fule, but I wonder why you made such a comment.

My understanding is that posters should not promote the other site. Giving a link to a news story is not, in my view, promoting the site.

Not that a give a jot but the link is to thunderboat where a link to the video is posted, as opposed to a direct Utube link.

I think that is the point people are trying to make

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

but I wonder why you made such a comment.

Because I have noticed you refuse to apply the rules when requested on a number of occasions. This is a good example. 

Another example was when I was called a rather unpleasant name in open forum and you declined to apply the 'no name-calling' rule, saying the name I was being called "wasn't that bad".

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Stopped me linking tuit 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It gives the sheep a rest.

Isn't there something in the rules about posting links to 'that' forum ?

No.  There might have been once, but it was silly, so there isn't now.

ETA there's a difference between promoting and linking to a story.  People link to Narrowboatworld sometimes and no-one cares.  If there's useful information somewhere, best it should be shared.  Can't see why promoting is wrong anyway - people mention and occasionally recommend other types of forum on here (cycling, fishing).  What site you prefer and why depends on your ability to cope with different types of bovine excreta...

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I nearly blew it up fifty years ago when i worked at the TA...

Hickson and Welch were once the best hope of that. If that had gone up properly it would have wiped Castleford and Allerton Byewater off the face of the Earth. We had contingency plans at Castleford Police stations in case of a full scale emergency. The command centre would have been run from Pontefract police station as the presumption was that Castleford Station would be obliterated. Its amazing what we live amongst and many people never know of the danger.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hickson and Welch were once the best hope of that. If that had gone up properly it would have wiped Castleford and Allerton Byewater off the face of the Earth. We had contingency plans at Castleford Police stations in case of a full scale emergency. The command centre would have been run from Pontefract police station as the presumption was that Castleford Station would be obliterated. Its amazing what we live amongst and many people never know of the danger.

I used to moor at Fall Ings in Wakefield - the chemical works just down-river send out a very nice calendar each year with information about their test alerts and what to do in case of an emergency (we all agreed that rather than staying put, it would be better to set off upwind asap).  The surrounding areas don't get developed much due to being in a flood and blast zone....

• Greenie 1

Just now, DaveP said:

I used to moor at Fall Ings in Wakefield - the chemical works just down-river send out a very nice calendar each year with information about their test alerts and what to do in case of an emergency (we all agreed that rather than staying put, it would be better to set off upwind asap).  The surrounding areas don't get developed much due to being in a flood and blast zone....

Did you have one of those few reverse into resi moorings?

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Apparently the emergency plans for Ellesmere Port were, let it go bang and come back when it cooled down to tidy up

• Greenie 2

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Did you have one of those few reverse into resi moorings?

I did; it was very nice there.  Order pizza on way to shower, pick it up on the way back.  Coal and gas at yorkshire prices delivered.  Beer not delivered, but for proper money....

1 minute ago, DaveP said:

I did; it was very nice there.  Order pizza on way to shower, pick it up on the way back.  Coal and gas at yorkshire prices delivered.  Beer not delivered, but for proper money....

Yes, I often though of mooring there over the years, very handy location. The last mooring we had up there was Woodlesford so not far from there. I am oop near there in a house thing today, been out and got fish and chips, proper mushy peas and proper curry sauce for three of us and change out of fifty pence..........well not quite but you know what I mean :D

• Greenie 1

A lot more going on than is being publicised. Appears to me to be another CRT boat removal on very shaky grounds using police 'support'.

Unfortunately I can't say more but thankfully the chap has kept good email and audio records.

After a bit of external support to deescalate the situation, my understanding is that he and his dogs are now with the police and latter being spoilt.

Its a shame more boaters wouldn't give a hand to those that look like they need a bit of support, rather than just spreading malicious gossip down the towpath telegraph. If they did, this wouldn't have happened.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

a shame more boaters wouldn't give a hand to those that look like they need a bit of support, rather than just spreading malicious gossip down the towpath telegraph. If they did, this wouldn't have happened.

It is shameful

• Greenie 1