Waddayathinka My New Boat

onebrownarm

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Must admit to wanting to have a play with a Lee Enfield 

Played with plenty as an air cadet. Our Squadron team of 4 were all left handers. Even with a rapid fire element, we ruled the wing championships for 4 years.

Favourite game on the long range was to fire and reload quickly. When the butts man pointed to the target, fire again  and if you were good, you got the pointer. A day on the range left you with a sore shoulder, but what fun.

9 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Played with plenty as an air cadet. Our Squadron team of 4 were all left handers. Even with a rapid fire element, we ruled the wing championships for 4 years.

Favourite game on the long range was to fire and reload quickly. When the butts man pointed to the target, fire again  and if you were good, you got the pointer. A day on the range left you with a sore shoulder, but what fun.

I've only fired 22 and shotguns, never experienced anything like a 303, one day :)

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Trying to remember the criteria; I'm sure the ATC Marksman badge was 5 x .22 shots that could be covered by a Half-Crown, and the RAF Marksman badge 5 x .303 shots under a Florin.
I know I got both at Camp one year.

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Trying to remember the criteria; I'm sure the ATC Marksman badge was 5 x .22 shots that could be covered by a Half-Crown, and the RAF Marksman badge 5 x .303 shots under a Florin.

In the navy you're a marksman if you can hit a barn door whilst holding the handle. ;)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I've only fired 22 and shotguns, never experienced anything like a 303, one day :)

It's good fun.  I shot at Bisley in 1972, came 198th in the British army.  The top 100 got a prize, all I got was a sore shoulder due to the 7.62 SLR having a kick like a mule, happy days.....

17 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I seem to recall that ATC marksman was 5 x.22 in a 1" group, or 5 x.303 in a 1 1/2" group, both from 25 yds. RAF badge was 5 x .303 in a 1" group at 25 yds. The guide was a halfpenny.

Range days were an affront to todays H & S culture, held in open unheated ranges where the ear shattering noise from the 303's was only exceeded by the barked orders of the regular Flight Sergeant who had lost the draw to be the responsible range officer. Not a ear defender in sight.

As an adult W.O in later years, I felt  the 7.62 was a soft option to the Lee Enfield, as the stock was shock absorbed.

Edited by Ex Brummie
bit more recollection.

3 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I felt  the 7.62 was a soft option to the Lee Enfield, as the stock was shock absorbed.

I also have a couple of Lee Enfield's in 7.62 (The Police marksman variant the 'Enforcer' & the Army Sniper L42)

The biggest kick is the short barrelled Enfield No5 (commonly known as the Jungle Carbine). It not only kicks but being short barrelled emits a flame which is quite impressive when shooting at dusk.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

I seem to recall that ATC marksman was 5 x.22 in a 1" group, or 5 x.303 in a 1 1/2" group, both from 25 yds. RAF badge was 5 x .303 in a 1" group at 25 yds. The guide was a halfpenny.

Range days were an affront to todays H & S culture, held in open unheated ranges where the ear shattering noise from the 303's was only exceeded by the barked orders of the regular Flight Sergeant who had lost the draw to be the responsible range officer. Not a ear defender in sight.

As an adult W.O in later years, I felt  the 7.62 was a soft option to the Lee Enfield, as the stock was shock absorbed.

Thanks, I know I got both the badges on the same day, and I think it was on the range at either Lyneham or Culdrose, 
Got my Corporal stripes at Culdrose and had a 6 hour flight in a Shackleton as a "reward"

On 21/11/2019 at 22:54, onebrownarm said:

painted 2014

Are you sure?  I’ve just checked the RAL charts and there is no 2014.  Nearest colour is RAL2012, Salmon Orange, and that is no colour for a boat!

Edited by The Dreamer
  • Haha 1