And the correct verb is?

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And “tinny”, and “uni”, and “barbie”, and...

I'm not convinced that "tinny" (which I understand to be a small can of beer, alias a "stubby") has joined the English mainstream; but the insulated container in which such cans are carried around, an "esky", has.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I'm not convinced that "tinny" (which I understand to be a small can of beer, alias a "stubby") has joined the English mainstream; but the insulated container in which such cans are carried around, an "esky", has.

Never heard of an esky.  A stubby is a bottle not a can.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Clearly I'm not part of the mainstream then.

How do you pronounce it?  Es-key or ee-sky?

That way. In New Zealand they call them Chilly Bins. Or, as the Kiwis would says "Chully Buns".

If you're into craft beer, you may have noticed that schooners have become more popular in craft beer pubs/bars, conversely in Sydney where I lived for 7 years, pints - and I mean 568ml pints not South Australian 425ml pints (wtf?) - have increasingly become more popular. Strange how that has come about. Schooners definitely make sense for strong craft beer though. Who wants to be drinking pints of 7%-8% IPA?

On a related note, can we make "Doing a Steve Heywood" a thing? This forum has influence, surely? We can get it into popular vernacular!

4 hours ago, Athy said:

These series must also bear the burden of having introduced "avo", meaning "afternoon", into this country.

Pedant alert! Avo is an avocado, arvo is afternoon ?

Have to admit that Esky’s, apart from being easier to say that chiller box or cool box, are pretty good bits of kit.  We have one on the verandah thats lasted 12 years in the Queensland sun and still does the job keeping the pimms cold at this time of year.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I rather suspect that this affectation entered British English via two popular Strayan T.V. soap operas called something like 'Home And Away' and 'Cobbers', circa early 1990s. It's always been a feature of Strine diction. These series must also bear the burden of having introduced "avo", meaning "afternoon", into this country.

I vividly remember watching an episode of 'Home And Away' in which a character said "I want to apologise for the way I've been acting" and thinking "The whole bloody cast should be saying that".

I didn't realise that the original multi-meter came from Australia.

Mine information this forum. ?

56 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Pedant alert! Avo is an avocado, arvo is afternoon ?

Have to admit that Esky’s, apart from being easier to say that chiller box or cool box, are pretty good bits of kit.  We have one on the verandah thats lasted 12 years in the Queensland sun and still does the job keeping the pimms cold at this time of year.

Surely an Avo is an AVOmeter, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avometer .

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

To be fair there are some fantastic things coming out of Australia nowadays. Take the Airbus A380, for example... 

I thought Airbus was a joint UK/French company. Do they also build them in Oz?

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

No - they fly out of Oz. How much better can it get?

A mate of mine, when asked by Oz immigration “Do you have a criminal record sir?”, replied “I didn’t realise it was still compulsory.”

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Our coolboxes have always been 'Eskies' - probably from Oz emigre family contacts?  

New to narrowboating, the senior officer (Mrs. A) has asked the very question what is one doing while chugging down the cut?  Drive I agree sounds bad, motoring or cruising, or indeed chugging.....?  Was there a conclusion/definitive answer??

Steering seems more appropriate to canals than 'helming'.

And 'winding holes' - rhymes with grind or grinned??  The Foxes Afloat chaps insist on the latter, but I wonder if someone was winding them up....? (See what I did there..??).

A whole new world opening up - great!!