And the correct verb is?

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, noddyboater said:

But have you noticed it’s only people of a certain age? 

When was the last time you were stood at a lock and an old timer with a whippet and flat cap asked “So, is this your boat?” or similar. 

Nearly as irritating was the fashion to say “yeah?” after everything;

“Shall we go down the pub? Yeah?” 

“Do you want another pint? YEAH?” 

And don’t get me started on the latest one, “Can I get?” instead of “Could I have please?”

Ok, it might not actually be wrong but it doesn’t half wind me up. It’s also usually said by a pointy bearded, sockless, slip on shoe wearing tosspot in my favourite real ale pub that’s slowly being gentrified to cater for such twonks. 

“So, can I get a hawthorn and rose fungus gin with ice? And can I pay by card ? Yeah?”

I would like to nominate this for 'Rant of the Year'.    Deceptively innocuous start, but brilliantly inventive development.

But while we're about it, doesn't mr****** realise that 'innit' is yesterday's annoying word?    OK, I know he does it deliberately!

I was reminded on Facebook today that it's three years since we sold our beloved Iona and gave up our dream because of my health problems. We were so certain that we would be living aboard for many more years, and it still breaks my heart, especially because I feel I've taken those years from Dave by being the weak link.

Just enjoy where and when you can and never ever take anything for granted.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ange said:

I was reminded on Facebook today that it's three years since we sold our beloved Iona and gave up our dream because of my health problems. We were so certain that we would be living aboard for many more years, and it still breaks my heart, especially because I feel I've taken those years from Dave by being the weak link.

Just enjoy where and when you can and never ever take anything for granted.

Is it really that long, I wonder when I last went up the Leek and Calder

Cruising - when boat movement takes place but with a slight sense of travelling from A to B.

Boating - when boat movement takes place but with no great sense of travelling from A to B.

As to the use of Masters, its just a question of degree.

When anyone sends me a written message, starting with "like", "so", "as", or any other word, then I get on my high horse and accuse everybody in sight of being patronising.

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Boating - when boat movement takes place but with no great sense of travelling from A to B.

Different strokes for different folks.

We were boating for 28 days when we brought our boat back from Croatia to Hull (3100 miles)

'Cruising' is 'just bimbling along', travelling at a leisurely pace and not necessarily with any destination in mind.

On 22/11/2019 at 08:48, Sea Dog said:

Point of order Mi'lud!  There are lady boatists, so it should be Master or Mistress at the very least. I run out of gender-based titles at that point though, and combining the two to produce Mister doesn't seem to work. ;)

I'm not so sure - by that reckoning if I'm boating with a lady who owns the boat then I'm in board with a mistress, which gives quite the wrong impression ?

"Steerer" will do just fine....

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe he should be considered a 'bater' rather than a 'boater'- he is certainly appears to be a 'master' at that.

Correct!  Any road, I go "boating" and the only times been  referred to as skipper was when on the Thames. And definitely "steering"

Lyrics from The Rosemary go:   "the owner said yes and the boatman ok, and into the cabin he went straight away"

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Different strokes for different folks.

We were boating for 28 days when we brought our boat back from Croatia to Hull (3100 miles)

'Cruising' is 'just bimbling along', travelling at a leisurely pace and not necessarily with any destination in mind.

You could also, of course,  describe your 3100 mile trip  as being "on passage towards Hull"

Howard

On 23/11/2019 at 11:13, system 4-50 said:

When anyone sends me a written message, starting with "like", "so", "as", or any other word, then I get on my high horse.

You must spend a great deal of time in the saddle.

On 22/11/2019 at 17:42, noddyboater said:

But have you noticed it’s only people of a certain age? 

When was the last time you were stood at a lock and an old timer with a whippet and flat cap asked “So, is this your boat?” or similar. 

Nearly as irritating was the fashion to say “yeah?” after everything;

“Shall we go down the pub? Yeah?” 

“Do you want another pint? YEAH?” 

And don’t get me started on the latest one, “Can I get?” instead of “Could I have please?”

Ok, it might not actually be wrong but it doesn’t half wind me up. It’s also usually said by a pointy bearded, sockless, slip on shoe wearing tosspot in my favourite real ale pub that’s slowly being gentrified to cater for such twonks. 

“So, can I get a hawthorn and rose fungus gin with ice? And can I pay by card ? Yeah?”

This is me, except I don't have a beard.  Yeah.

4 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

But to make up for not having a beard I bet you do the upward inflection thing..

On the end of every sentence..

That’s more annoying than everything else that’s been mentioned.. 

I rather suspect that this affectation entered British English via two popular Strayan T.V. soap operas called something like 'Home And Away' and 'Cobbers', circa early 1990s. It's always been a feature of Strine diction. These series must also bear the burden of having introduced "avo", meaning "afternoon", into this country.

I vividly remember watching an episode of 'Home And Away' in which a character said "I want to apologise for the way I've been acting" and thinking "The whole bloody cast should be saying that".

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

I vividly remember watching an episode of 'Home And Away' in which a character said "I want to apologise for the way I've been acting" and thinking "The whole bloody cast should be saying that".

:D :clapping: