And the correct verb is?

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I deliberately refer to parking the boat, but the other day found myself telling Mrs Mac where I'd moored the car.....

I have done that more than once, I sometimes drive the boat while wearing my captain's hat 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the Inland Waterways Bye Laws the correct term is "Master"

“master” means the person having for the time being the
command, charge or management of a vessel

“owner” includes (a) in relation to any vessel the master or
hirer,

But my wife is the Master and I am the steerer and we are both owners.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

According to the Inland Waterways Bye Laws the correct term is "Master"

“owner” includes (a) in relation to any vessel the master or
hirer,

But my wife is the Master and I am the steerer and we are both owners.

6 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Well you're wrong. In the old days a sentence began with an awfully old fashioned capital letter. Then the correct form became starting every sentence with "basically". Now "so" has become correct being marginally but significantly more patronising than "basically".

I don't think he's wrong. 'S' is a conjunction. As the OP's post demonstrates, it is completely superfluous at the start of a sentence. Just because people use it doesn't make it correct.

'So I was asked by a colleague today, whilst discussing my life choice, “so Is the correct verb, for what you  narrowboaters do, cruise or sail?”.  He went on to ask whether one captains or navigates a narrowboat.  On both counts I instinct gave an answer, but it got me thinking if I was right.'

Edited by starman

6 hours ago, rgreg said:

You make a very interesting point here. I have noticed that many presenters are doing this nowadays, and it has certainly become an often over-used practice; sometimes an interviewee will begin almost every reply with "so".

But have you noticed it’s only people of a certain age? 

When was the last time you were stood at a lock and an old timer with a whippet and flat cap asked “So, is this your boat?” or similar. 

Nearly as irritating was the fashion to say “yeah?” after everything;

“Shall we go down the pub? Yeah?” 

“Do you want another pint? YEAH?” 

And don’t get me started on the latest one, “Can I get?” instead of “Could I have please?”

Ok, it might not actually be wrong but it doesn’t half wind me up. It’s also usually said by a pointy bearded, sockless, slip on shoe wearing tosspot in my favourite real ale pub that’s slowly being gentrified to cater for such twonks. 

“So, can I get a hawthorn and rose fungus gin with ice? And can I pay by card ? Yeah?”

12 hours ago, noddyboater said:

My personal view is not to start sentences with “So..”

Generally I agree, although at the begging of a statement, like the one I posted, I think it is less unacceptable (purposeful double negative).  When it really get me, is when the first word of someone’s answer is “so”, as it comes across as exceptionally condescending!

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes but that is the person in charge, not what they are doing.  Are you therefore saying that one masters a narrowboat, or that tomorrow, “the wife and I are going out for a little master”!

33 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

But have you noticed it’s only people of a certain age? 

When was the last time you were stood at a lock and an old timer with a whippet and flat cap asked “So, is this your boat?” or similar. 

Nearly as irritating was the fashion to say “yeah?” after everything;

“Shall we go down the pub? Yeah?” 

“Do you want another pint? YEAH?” 

And don’t get me started on the latest one, “Can I get?” instead of “Could I have please?”

Ok, it might not actually be wrong but it doesn’t half wind me up. It’s also usually said by a pointy bearded, sockless, slip on shoe wearing tosspot in my favourite real ale pub that’s slowly being gentrified to cater for such twonks. 

“So, can I get a hawthorn and rose fungus gin with ice? And can I pay by card ? Yeah?”

Some of the modern UK speech style is imported from the USA, and preceding a sentence with "so" could well be of that origin.

4 hours ago, starman said:

so Is the correct verb, for what you  narrowboaters do, cruise or sail?”.

Not giving you that one, as that is exactly what my colleague  asked.  Thus, if you are to edit it out, an ellipsis (...)is in order!

46 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

That is the one that gets me, He is not going to get anything, he is going to wait for someone to bring it to him.

• Greenie 1

Thanks every one, for the record, I went with “cruise” and “navigate”, although I was less sure about the latter.  In follow up to subsequent post, I like “Master”, as for the person doing the “navigating”, although in the interests of gender neutrality, I wonder if this now needs to become “Zaster”, on second thoughts forget that idea!

3 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Never mind, and I’ve given you a kindly greeny in return!

Well, thank you. I've changed my password just in case someone's being generous on my behalf. 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I sometimes do that by clicking it instead of Quote

Nope. Wasn't trying to reply. In fact some of them were when I wasn't reading the forum. 

1 minute ago, stegra said:

Well, thank you. I've changed my password just in case someone's being generous on my behalf. 

I think there might be a glitch in the system.  There are a number of threads showing in my “Live topics” which are un-bolded, which normally means no one has posted in the, since I last read them.  Yet they are threads I have never looked at!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Dreamer said:

Yes but that is the person in charge, not what they are doing.  Are you therefore saying that one masters a narrowboat, or that tomorrow, “the wife and I are going out for a little master”!

I say "I'm going canalling" ?

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

Boat.

Steers

So, like yea, I’d say ‘to boat’ 

I have boated, I’ve bin boating,  I’m gonna go boating, it’s more natural like, to say , like. 

And yea, basically, I steer a boat while boating. But would never like say “I steered to Brum and back”. More likely to say “I boated to Brum and back”

So, if I were to ask where someone’s been, I’d never say “ so, have you steered the curly whirly?” or “ I say old chap, have you navigated the delights of the Rochdale?”  

Basically, I ask “Have you boated bla bla bla?” Or more simply “ever been along the bla bla bla....?”

I avoid the word cruise. And dislike the title continuous cruiser. So, I prefer and like to say I keep moving about, or simply “I Boat about”. 

But that’s me, like, I’m not ‘an old hand’. 

• Greenie 1