At Last

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Well after about 3 years of pondering ( you just mustn’t rush these things, I’ve finally gone and done it At Last.

Yep I’ve gone and bought myself a boat.

Having pondered over Narrowboats and Widebeams big ones and small ones of each new ones and used ones with endless questions and concerns I have took the first step on my new adventures.

So was it a 70 foot Narrowboat?

Was it a 65 x 12 Widebeam?

Nowp I decided I wanted the option to sail across the Pennines and see more than just the northeast waterways which would have been the case in a 65 x 12

and as much as I really do like Narrowboats I felt I needed just a bit more space so I have gone and purchased a 57 x 10 Widebeam aptly named At Last. I will not be getting her in home waters until after beginning of the year and I’ll update on her arrival but for now thank you all especially Peterboat for all your advice. Just got to stop smiling as my cheeks are starting to ache ??

• Greenie 3

Thank you Sea Dog it’s the start of a new chapter in my life for sure. It will be exciting and scary too with so much to learn including eventually single handed constant cruising along with my Labrador Misty which I intend documenting on a new YouTube channel which will be called.   Misty and Me

Moving On - At Last 

I want to help others see that finding yourself on your own in your later years doesn’t mean you have to give up on life and dreams.

18 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Thank you Sea Dog it’s the start of a new chapter in my life for sure. It will be exciting and scary too with so much to learn including eventually single handed constant cruising along with my Labrador Misty which I intend documenting on a new YouTube channel which will be called.   Misty and Me

Moving On - At Last 

I want to help others see that finding yourself on your own in your later years doesn’t mean you have to give up on life and dreams.

Well I hope it works out well for you.  A damned fine choice of Ship's Dog too!  Labs are like having about 3 crew less when they're a pup, but they come good with experience. Mine, now 8,  was promoted to Chief Petty Officer Dog earlier this year.  I cant help but think a Whippet would be a better size occasionally though!  :)

Thank you mrsmelly I realise there will be canals she can not navigate but having looked at the bigger boats 12 feet wide 65 long would have limited me so At Last is a compromise a little less space but still 2 bedrooms but giving me the advantage of seeing so much more waterways 

39 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Moving On - At Last 

It should be called "Play Misty for Me"

PS

Well done

:)

5 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Thank you mrsmelly I realise there will be canals she can not navigate but having looked at the bigger boats 12 feet wide 65 long would have limited me so At Last is a compromise a little less space but still 2 bedrooms but giving me the advantage of seeing so much more waterways 

My widebeam was 10ft 6inches I deliberately bought that size. Vastly more comfortable and better handling and stability than sewer tube but not ungainly, best of both worlds. I went back to sewer tubes simply to go South again but if I go up Norrfff for an extended period of time again I will bin the sewer tube and go wide again.

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nah - go a bit smaller and get "two for the size of one"

CAM00254.jpg

Lovely. Showing my ignorance now. Are they French Bulldogs? I love the stockyness. Why I like Staffies I guess. You can 'pat' them 'firmly'. Difficult with a Jack Russell. 

IMG_1305.JPG

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Lovely. Showing my ignorance now. Are they French Bulldogs?

"Spotty Dog" is a Frenchie.

"Dudley" (the beige one) is a very old Pug (he is about 12 now)

Always had "Jacks" as a youngster, great dogs for Rabbiting / Ferreting.

Had one that got lost and was attacked by a Badger (according to the Vet) he lost a back leg but was still very active and enjoyed the NB.

Youngest Son having a nap

DSCF0010.JPG

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"Spotty Dog" is a Frenchie.

"Dudley" (the beige one) is a very old Pug (he is about 12 now)

Always had "Jacks" as a youngster, great dogs for Rabbiting / Ferreting.

Had one that got lost and was attacked by a Badger (according to the Vet) he lost a back leg but was still very active and enjoyed the NB.

Youngest Son having a nap

DSCF0010.JPG

You should really have bought him a bed you know!

Back on topic(ish). My brother, (he's gay you know!) There I've said it! He is recently retired, and is at the stage where he can't decide which direction to go. Loves the boating lark. But is undecided whether he could live on a Narrowboat. Fancies a fat boat, but not too fat. I have told him about this thread but no response yet, still in slumber I guess. 

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

You should really have bought him a bed you know!

Back on topic(ish). My brother, (he's gay you know!) There I've said it! He is recently retired, and is at the stage where he can't decide which direction to go. Loves the boating lark. But is undecided whether he could live on a Narrowboat. Fancies a fat boat, but not too fat. I have told him about this thread but no response yet, still in slumber I guess. 

Tell him to buy a fattie, its a no brainer if hes willing to stick in such as the north or the Thames ?