Horses and Steam?

rupertbear

Featured Posts

I came across this picture via Twitter:

EJ1JXtnX0AYSQvc?format=jpg&name=large

' On the Towpath by David Farqhuarson 1882-83 '

Is there a reason why horses might have been used to draw a steam boat through locks or is this a case of artistic licence/confusion?

It also appears to be a narrow lock. I'm no expert but I would have thought the given date a little early for steam?

Artistic licence is evidenced accordingly ...

The geezer on the left is very tall and wouldn't fit in the house on his right, so where can he be going?

Donald Trump is peering out of the boat's funnel.

The quandary concerning the horse towing the steam boat is actually an alternative explanation supporting a methodological bias.

Closer scrutiny shows the tug is connected to the horse by a large pole and is indeed pushing it ahead.

Also we don't know the nationality of the geezer on the left 

EJ1JXtnX0AYSQvc.jpg

This painting dates from 1888 and, I think, depicts a boat with steam or smoke emitting plus a tow-rope in use - presumably with a horse.   The painting is behind a glass frame so the picture is a bit confused with reflections.

I read somewhere that Henry De Salis  used a boat that looked a bit like a gondola when touring the canals to write his first guide book - could this be him?   Was the boat steam powered, if so why the tow-rope?   Any explanations appreciated.

20160928_225235.jpg.fa660b098699da9ae428d970592b94d5.jpg

13 hours ago, Waterway2go said:

This painting dates from 1888 and, I think, depicts a boat with steam or smoke emitting plus a tow-rope in use - presumably with a horse.   The painting is behind a glass frame so the picture is a bit confused with reflections.

I read somewhere that Henry De Salis  used a boat that looked a bit like a gondola when touring the canals to write his first guide book - could this be him?   Was the boat steam powered, if so why the tow-rope?   Any explanations appreciated.

20160928_225235.jpg.fa660b098699da9ae428d970592b94d5.jpg

Ah, now the inspiration for Hudson boats distinction bow becomes clear! ?