Otherton marina

Pirateringo

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

Hi, yeah I've looked at that one but it says spaces upto 60' unfortunately we're 62' 

You dont know when that website was last updated, there are online moorings , some of which are 70 foot, cant hurt to pick up the phone.

I don't know if it still is, but Otherton marina used to be owned by Phil Dorrington who had the farm across the canal. Many years ago our shared boat was there for winter maintenance . Not a great success and in fact the standard was so bad that they didn't charge us. That, however, was many years ago and things are probably changed now.

haggis

It depends what you want from a marina. You (we) wouldn’t want to stay on the boat there because the motorway noise is bad. Also the facilities are minimal and somewhat run down. We looked at it in 2010 but were put off by the people in charge and general feel of the place - as well as the noise.

We went to Fazeley Mill - which is not that far from Otherton by road - and love it here. Different kettle of fish altogether.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm failing to see the downside to a free mooring!

Don't think the mooring was free! The price, if I remember correctly, included mooring fees as well as the work which was to be done. At that time, OwnerShips used several marinas for winter maintenance with each place taking the number of boats they thought they could handle. I think Otherton overestimated what it could do .

haggis

We were moored there on the O/S boat Endeavour for a year. It was agreed to have a repaint and they used to crane the boats out of the cut into their farm and paint shed. The paint job was OK but was the wrong shade so they were forced to do the job again.  Naturally O/S refused to pay twice so Phil Dorrington chained the boat to his pilings until the issue was sorted.  We, the shared owners, didn't pick up the cost though.

There's plenty of boats moored there so he hasn't p***ed off too many.

6 hours ago, haggis said:

Don't think the mooring was free! The price, if I remember correctly, included mooring fees as well as the work which was to be done. At that time, OwnerShips used several marinas for winter maintenance with each place taking the number of boats they thought they could handle. I think Otherton overestimated what it could do .

haggis

To be fair, I think the last comment is the real reason for the problem we had. It was a long time ago, and Phil had just started the marina. He was at the Ownerships meeting, and, if I remember correctly, ended up with doing the winter maintenance on seven or eight boats.

As Haggis said above, Phil refunded the entire cost of the maintenance, which I thought was pretty generous.

Ok winter mooring first. Otherton is pretty handy for motorway, or bus or train from Stafford. Shops and pubs in the village (15 mins walk) which is bisected by the horrendous main road. Midland Chandlers have a big branch just along the canal, 10 mins by car. And in breaks from wintry weather, you can chug up and down the cut, plenty of locks! The marina itself is a bit, em, functional, which may not be a problem for you and wasn’t much for us.

Boatyard wise, we had mixed experience there, you could say. We bought our boat while she was up on piles there awaiting replating. I say we bought, but actually Phil (following discussions) paid the owner himself, did a full replate and sold on to us, thus taking a risk and a profit, so fair enough. We continue to enjoy cruising the canals, having the expected issues with an old boat, some of which we trace back to work done at Otherton 

I had heard that they were under new ownership, anyone know is that so?