Replcement for Morso Squirrel

Machpoint005

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

If you want a stove made of trecherous cast iron

I don't, but "your input is appreciated".

8 hours ago, churchward said:

It is a cast stove

Therefore I don't want one, but "your input is appreciated".

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One point to consider if swapping from Squirrel to Boatman is the Boatman has a 4" flue collar and the existing Squirrel flue will be 5". Not an easy conversion from one to the other.

Good point, Mike. but I must admit I'd be employing a "man who can" rather than making it a DIY job. I know my limitations.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I replaced my cracked Squirrel with a Boatman about five years ago. The boatman is noticeably lower in heat output.

Thanks for that, but I'm looking to heat a 48ft boat and there is only one radiator. A 25% lower heat output is probably a Good Thing rather than the opposite.  

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I don't, but "your input is appreciated".

Therefore I don't want one, but "your input is appreciated".

Good point, Mike. but I must admit I'd be employing a "man who can" rather than making it a DIY job. I know my limitations.

Thanks for that, but I'm looking to heat a 48ft boat and there is only one radiator. A 25% lower heat output is probably a Good Thing rather than the opposite.  

Did you find my detailed review of the Boatman Stove from a few years ago?

A series of nit-picking criticisms each trivial and inconsequential individually but adding up to a somewhat disappointing purchase.

Will see if I can find it...

Here!

18 hours ago, bizzard said:

If you want a stove made of trecherous cast iron I'd go for a Chinese stove. I've fitted a few over the last few years and all have been splendid, no faults whatever and the cast iron seems to be better quality and thicker than the likes of Morso ect's wafer thin stuff.

I can only assume this is another of your of the wall jokes? I can't take it seriously anyway. The Chinese cast iron stoves are crap in my experience. I installed a Chinese Clarke stove from machine mart once and I had to go though the back of the shop to find a casting that wasn't already cracked.

I don't know about the Squirrel, but my Morso Panther has pretty thick castings and has been keeping me warm for 15 years.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks for that link, Mike. I wonder how many of the niggles have been taken on board by the manufacturer over the last 4 or 5 years!

I wouldn't mind betting it's none, as the stoves sell well and Eddie is not an internet kinda guy!

Lots of people don't find all the minor niggles a problem, as seen in the ensuing discussion in the thread. But being quite a picky kind of bod myself I noticed the shortcomings after living for years with Squirrels, and if you are the same type of "discerning stove user", I predict you'll notice the problems too. 

I'd say the stove door handle is the most annoying thing. It gets too hot to touch, and it rusts solid over the summer.  Bizzard's brake spring mod will help as will his idea of wrapping the handle with string, but if you want a stove that is really well designed rather than cheap and cheerful, I'd say get a Squirrel. But if you wanna save £400, buy a Boatman, a brake shoe spring and some string!

29 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks for that link, Mike. I wonder how many of the niggles have been taken on board by the manufacturer over the last 4 or 5 years!

The stove had a revamp, it was fitted with a baffle and awash to meet regulations for stoves, made it more efficient and cleaner 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the stove door handle is the most annoying thing. It gets too hot to touch, and it rusts solid over the summer.  Bizzard's brake spring mod will help as will his idea of wrapping the handle with string, but if you want a stove that is really well designed rather than cheap and cheerful, I'd say get a Squirrel. But if you wanna save £400, buy a Boatman, a brake shoe spring and some string!

Maybe I could sell a boatmans stove upgrade kit, a brake shoe spring and a ball of string for £200. My customers would still save £200 compared with buying a squirrel.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Maybe I could sell a boatmans stove upgrade kit, a brake shoe spring and a ball of string for £200. My customers would still save £200 compared with buying a squirrel.

But would that be enough profit to pay Bizzards extortionate licencing fees? ? 

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

I can only assume this is another of your of the wall jokes? I can't take it seriously anyway. The Chinese cast iron stoves are crap in my experience. I installed a Chinese Clarke stove from machine mart once and I had to go though the back of the shop to find a casting that wasn't already cracked.

I don't know about the Squirrel, but my Morso Panther has pretty thick castings and has been keeping me warm for 15 years.

Not a joke at all, although I think CWDF does need livening up a bit, quite boring these days. I've never had anything to do with the Morso Panther so can't comment.  I believe stoves from the Clarke machine mart are crap. The Chinese ones that I've fitted were bought from proper accredited stove dealers.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

On 20/11/2019 at 16:16, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Your location says Gr Manchester, so Boatman Stoves are local to you. Several boating neighbours have these. Nice no nonsense stoves. Welded construction as far as I can make out. 4kW, not 5. They sell some cast iron ones too.

Jen

Why are the new range called UBoatman? Alaaarrrmmm!

• Haha 1