Jump to content

Reccomend me a 12v fridge!!!!


TheSaintlyOne
 Share

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Happy to be educated if you can nominate a reputable, cheap, reliable inverter that will start a fridge motor and at the same time draw a trivial quiescent current.

 

 

Cheap and 'reputable/reliable' seem to be mutually excusive. Unfortunately good ones do seem to be expensive but on a 'non camping' boat, you have lots of other things using the inverter so it is worth getting a reputable/reliable one and paying more for it. Having got a good inverter installed then a 240V fridge becomes an easy choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Cheap and 'reputable/reliable' seem to be mutually excusive. Unfortunately good ones do seem to be expensive but on a 'non camping' boat, you have lots of other things using the inverter so it is worth getting a reputable/reliable one and paying more for it. Having got a good inverter installed then a 240V fridge becomes an easy choice.

 

 

I have a 12v non-camping boat. 

 

About the only things I need 240v for is charging the apple phones and Macs, and the Dyson hoover. I have a 300w inverter for that. 

 

 

Oh and for charging the cordless power tools. Same inverter still suffices. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

 

I have a 12v non-camping boat. 

 

 

 

 

Its all about a personal preference.

We lived on a 12v boat for 3 years between Scotland and Greece.

We now live on a 12V/240V boat with a washing machine, hair dryer, nesspresso machine and many other 240V devices. Apart from the weather it is so much nicer now. For me it is camping vs not camping.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Not my experience at all.

 

All 12v fridges are NOT the same. 

 

Buy a 240v fridge and the wrong inverter and your life will be a constant battle to feed the poxy inverter which wastes large quantities of standby power 24/7/365.

 

 

I said insulation not power supply. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Most fridges are fitted in the same cabin that the owner is paying for fuel to heat while at the same time paying for more fuel to generate electricity to cool the fridge , ever think how pointless and wasteful this is ?

 

Both systems are fighting each other and consuming money to do so.

Just like my kitchen at home, even the heat being pumped out of the fridge is trying to get back in

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Most fridges are fitted in the same cabin that the owner is paying for fuel to heat while at the same time paying for more fuel to generate electricity to cool the fridge , ever think how pointless and wasteful this is ?

 

Both systems are fighting each other and consuming money to do so.

 

Still cheaper than having the fridge outside in the well deck and having to buy more food every time someone nicks it, or replace the rusty fridge every couple of years. ?

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the winter we use a ( non powered ) cool box and we usually buy two bags of frozen items like chips or broccoli every week which keep meat fresh for 3/4 days, after that we have freezer blocks we leave out at night to catch the frost and put in the cool box in the morning. The cool box is in unheated engine room .

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2019 at 14:54, cuthound said:

 

Still cheaper than having the fridge outside in the well deck and having to buy more food every time someone nicks it, or replace the rusty fridge every couple of years. ?

Surprisingly most fridge-freezers, and I assume fridges with an ice box, do not work at all well outdoors, or even in a cold part of the boat. They also do not work well in a garage. This had me puzzled for a while, but they only have one thermostat and that controls the fridge and this provides enough cooling for the freezer part. If the outside temperature gets below the fridge temperature then the fridge does not need to run so the freezer defrosts.

 

..............Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2019 at 11:07, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

 

I have a 12v non-camping boat. 

 

About the only things I need 240v for is charging the apple phones and Macs, and the Dyson hoover. I have a 300w inverter for that. 

 

 

Oh and for charging the cordless power tools. Same inverter still suffices. 

 

 

With varying amounts of effort and investment all of these things can be run directly off 12 volts. The iPhone is the easiest, just get a 12 volt to USB adapter thingy.

In fact I predict that before long we won't think about 12 volt boats but about USB boats.

 

I believe that both Dyson and Makita do 12 volt chargers. The Macbook is the hardest, it needs a bit of soldering to run off 12 volts, but the next (or latest?) generation will likely run off USB PD.

 

Am still waiting for a USB washing machine though :)

 

..............Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Surprisingly most fridge-freezers, and I assume fridges with an ice box, do not work at all well outdoors, or even in a cold part of the boat. They also do not work well in a garage. This had me puzzled for a while, but they only have one thermostat and that controls the fridge and this provides enough cooling for the freezer part. If the outside temperature gets below the fridge temperature then the fridge does not need to run so the freezer defrosts.

 

..............Dave

 

I know, I keep my freezer and a second fridge in the garage at home and my choice was surprisingly limited. It is not just ice box fridges and fridge freezers sharing a common thermostat that suffer. It all depends on the "climate class" rating, which is +10°C for most fridges, freezers and fridge-freezers sold in the UK.

 

Eventually I chose a Beko upright freezer and a Beko larder fridge, both of which Beko claim to be suitable for cooler locations, down to -15°C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

 

I know, I keep my freezer and a second fridge in the garage at home and my choice was surprisingly limited. It is not just ice box fridges and fridge freezers sharing a common thermostat that suffer. It all depends on the "climate class" rating, which is +10°C for most fridges, freezers and fridge-freezers sold in the UK.

 

Eventually I chose a Beko upright freezer and a Beko larder fridge, both of which Beko claim to be suitable for cooler locations, down to -15°C.

It caught me out when we left the boat in a marina for two weeks one January to go on holiday. We usually empty the fridge/freezer but the marina said they had very reliable electricity so we left the freezer full. On returning the power was still on but there were obvious signs that the freezer had seriously defrosted at some stage. It would be lovely if people like Shoreline who do 12 volt fridges for boats found a way to fit a second thermostat, they charge enough.

 

............Dave

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.