Reccomend me a 12v fridge!!!!

TheSaintlyOne

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes looked bad around the lock and all the way down your stretch, speaking to CaRT a month ago, there's plans for the old Court site to be redeveloped into a entertainment zone with visitor moorings and a sanitary station. I think they will have to seriously re-evaluate their flood plan after seeing it the other week. Glad your all ok and hopefully getting back to normality.

Its all a flood plain around there, so I suppose they will protect it with higher walls and move the problem down stream!!

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

The river rother meets the don just upstream so it has the potential to all go wrong from the beginning really 

They also built all flood defences around Sheffield city centre which seemed to work, only to move the flooding downstream to Meadowhall. Wait till they build flood defences there which they will now and the problem will get even worse your end as it's just moving further down stream.

Anyway any recommendations for a 12v fridge? Getting the Post back on topic lol.

45 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

They also built all flood defences around Sheffield city centre which seemed to work, only to move the flooding downstream to Meadowhall. Wait till they build flood defences there which they will now and the problem will get even worse your end as it's just moving further down stream.

Anyway any recommendations for a 12v fridge? Getting the Post back on topic lol.

12 voltshoeline like mine, having had 2 invaders fail I prefer  12/24 volts, also means if away for a week inverter is off

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As the OP is starting with fitting out a 'bare-boat' I'd suggest that he considers installing 230v and having a 230v fridge at a fraction of the cost of a 12v one.

Which neatly loops us back to the beginning. A 12v fridge is actually cheaper than a 240v fridge plus a decent quality inverter. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which neatly loops us back to the beginning. A 12v fridge is actually cheaper than a 240v fridge plus a decent quality inverter. 

Although, if you are fitting a decent quality inverter in a bare boat fitout, regardless of the type of fridge, it might make sense to fit a 240V fridge :)

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Although, if you are fitting a decent quality inverter in a bare boat fitout, regardless of the type of fridge, it might make sense to fit a 240V fridge :)

Or more specifically, a decent quality one also with a low enough quiescent current to leave it ON 24/7/365 and not drain the batteries.

So really, it hinges on whether it is going to be a 'floating cottage' type boat with everything 240Vac electric a house might have, or a camping boat still posh enough to have a decent fridge.

• Greenie 1

On 21/11/2019 at 18:35, PD1964 said:

Where have I asked for advice? I'm not asking for advice off anyone, If I wanted advice I would seek it from friends that build boats for a living and work on the canals, people I trust.

Can I ask you when you took your 70ft boat through Thorne lock I remember you said you went down backwards, why was that?

Sorry late with answer I missed this bit. Went down backwards just in case of cill. I didnt know for sure how much depth there would be so it just makes sense on any tight lock length to go down arse first so as not to cill the boat. I will remember now that its deep enough for nose first ?

• Greenie 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2019 at 14:49, Alan de Enfield said:

OK - Slight eggsageration.

£90 for a 230v fridge

I paid £600 + VAT (£720) for a 12v Waeco

So 8x not 10x

One can buy a Waeco one for under £500, and a Lec fridge for £135, that's 3x not 8x

I have a Shoreline RR 47 fridge, and I wish it had a setting below 1. Well overdue for a defrost, but it's growing ice very efficiently. Running off a computer power supply unit. Lost count of the years it's been running the fridge non stop.

12v Isotherm fridge. Comes in several sizes with optional snazzy extras (lights and knobs and additional cooling plate if you want it).  Not cheap but good quality and does the job well. I run mine from solar and engine only, no generator or inverter or any of that palava.  I tend to turn it off at night if it's full as it stays cool enough and then turn it back on in the morning. I keep the ice box full of cool packs when it doesn't have frozen food in it. And I fill any space in the main body of the fridge with full cartons of long-life milk or eggs if I've eaten half the food, which get cold during sunlight hours and then help to keep it cool when the solar or engine has a snooze. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

One can buy a Waeco one for under £500, and a Lec fridge for £135, that's 3x not 8x

Yes you can buy a 'dolls-house' size Waeco for under £500, but a minimum useful size (110 litres) is £800

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Dometic-COOLMATIC-CRX-110-104L-Compressor-Refrigerator-Silver/25034025634?iid=273677490448&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=273677490448&targetid=594043345190&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046218&poi=&campaignid=6466412116&mkgroupid=77204287093&rlsatarget=aud-629407027905:pla-594043345190&abcId=1140486&merchantid=113603469&gclid=CjwKCAiAis3vBRBdEiwAHXB29J63Md3Gwm6MvKnEIuAB_AgHlC_jQ9jVHydKQpl0LCd7HaA5Vf208BoCx6sQAvD_BwE

Yes you can pay a lot more than £100 for a 230v fridge but you can also get one (100 litre) for £110

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8338640

I stand by my (almost) 8x

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 21/11/2019 at 12:44, Alan de Enfield said:

But one of the benefits of 230v 'stuff' is that if it fails, you can phone Argos and have a replacement delivered the same day (as long as you know where you are)

12v 'stuff' costs 10x the price & pretty much relies on you being somewhere near a chandlers.

To complicate matters slightly... (Midland) Swindlers now deliver to Argos' the length and breadth via their eBay listings... 

Having said that

a) many ppl boat further from their nearest argos than me

b) I fully intend to replace my 'kind of OK' 230v Hotpoint with a flipping lovely AAA,  or close to it, Leibherr because they are a tactile joy

16 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

b) I fully intend to replace my 'kind of OK' 230v Hotpoint with a flipping lovely AAA,  or close to it, Leibherr because they are a tactile joy

What are you on tonight? Can I have some please??

8 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

The insulation on off the shelf boat fridges is woefully inadequate, as I posted about before,  your life with these things is a constant battle to feed them power which is just wasted away through the thin insulation. 

Not my experience at all.

All 12v fridges are NOT the same. 

Buy a 240v fridge and the wrong inverter and your life will be a constant battle to feed the poxy inverter which wastes large quantities of standby power 24/7/365.

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not my experience at all.

All 12v fridges are NOT the same. 

Buy a 240v fridge and the wrong inverter and your life will be a constant battle to feed the poxy inverter which wastes large quantities of standby power 24/7/365.

....but get a decent inverter and you will use circa 25Ahs in 24 hrs (summer usage) which is better than most 12V boat fridges. 

9 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

The insulation on off the shelf boat fridges is woefully inadequate, as I posted about before,  your life with these things is a constant battle to feed them power which is just wasted away through the thin insulation. 

You may be talking about 'budget' caravan type fridges, often sold by inland chandlers who see 'boats' as floating caravans, but buy a proper marine fridge from a marine chandler and you'll see the difference.

My 12v fridge uses 25Ah-30Ah (depending on conditions) per day.

43 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

....but get a decent inverter

Which of course is the rub. How do you know what is a 'decent inverter'? Most of them are rubbish unless you pay north of the price of a decent 12v fridge in the first place. 

Or do you know otherwise? Happy to be educated if you can nominate a reputable, cheap, reliable inverter that will start a fridge motor and at the same time draw a trivial quiescent current.

12 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

To complicate matters slightly... (Midland) Swindlers now deliver to Argos' the length and breadth via their eBay listings... 

Having said that

a) many ppl boat further from their nearest argos than me

Some posts / threads ago I had in mind to writ as much - but then, I thought "nah the potra-potti brigade and their ilk will only have a go".

AFAIAC it's daft replacing a 12V fridge with a cheap 240v equivalent - if you're worried about power consumption.

OTOH if you go to  Liebherr (not the spelling) unit you may well be consuming less power overall (given that you have a reasonable inverter).

My Batts / Lec FF still works (good compressor) but the case is falling apart. I have a Liebherr 240v FF waiting to be installed and it just sips power. The case internals are much better designed than the Bognor Regis Lec case.

Perhaps if it stops raining, I'll get off my fundament and fit it....

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may be talking about 'budget' caravan type fridges, often sold by inland chandlers who see 'boats' as floating caravans, but buy a proper marine fridge from a marine chandler and you'll see the difference.

My 12v fridge uses 25Ah-30Ah (depending on conditions) per day.

Virtual Greenie Alan, my shoreline Fridge freezer has served me well, its on 24 volts so maybe a little more economical than when on 12 volts. the big plus for me is I am away for the weekend so the inverter is off, also the bigger plus is having had two vetus inverter catch fire luckily whilst I was there the inverter is off!! For me the inverter is the problem either for electrical consumption or the ability to turn your boat into a flaming wreck! So I will stick with the more expensive but safer option for me