Reccomend me a 12v fridge!!!!

TheSaintlyOne

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

You did seem bothered for a while there as you were exchanging a number of posts with AdE on the topic.

Yes, but the topic would of quickly went off topic, as the usual "Post on every topic" members would of jumped on to get their post count up, let's just help the OP with his question and not confuse him with all the ins and outs of fridges,inverters,batteries and wiring. If that's ok.

21 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes, but the topic would of quickly went off topic, as the usual "Post on every topic" members would of jumped on to get their post count up, let's just help the OP with his question and not confuse him with all the ins and outs of fridges,inverters,batteries and wiring. If that's ok.

If you have read the OP's other thread he appears to have little idea about fitting out a boat from scratch, asking about everything from what wood to use (OSB, ply, etc) to make the floor to paint, to electrics. I would suggest that he may be grateful for being given options.

When you have no knowledge it is unlikely that you will know what questions to ask.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a good inverter (Mastervolt) with a very low quiescent current.  I also have a 12v shoreline fridge.  I'm happy with this set up for now but I'm unsure what I would do if the fridge needed replacing.  Yes, I could buy a 240v fridge for less money than a new 12v fridge but there are downsides to this.  I'm not entirely convinced that the power consumption of a 240v fridge would compete with what I have, but more importantly I don't want to be reliant on my inverter working.  Inverters do play up, and I'd assume that running one 24/7 is likely to put more wear on the inverter and shorten its life.  My inverter cost more than my fridge so I want it to last as long as possible.

In all honesty, if my fridge needed replacing I'd look for a good second hand 12v fridge first.  The fridge I have cost me £100 second hand and was in nearly new condition and I sold my fairly knackered 12v fridge for £50, so I'm happy with my choice.

I have a similar setup, Victron inverter, 12 volt fridge, 230 volt freezer. Once thecfreezervhas cooled down to temperature it draws about the same power as the fridge, around 30Ah per 24 hours.

Having worked for years in the critical power industry, designing in reliability is ingrained in me.

Having a 230 volt fridge fed from an inverter MUST be less reliable as failure of either element results in the loss of the fridge.

That said, when the fridge fails I would probably replace it with a mains one because of the lower cost and because I am a leisure, rather than liveaboard boater.

• Greenie 1

Just now, cuthound said:

I have a similar setup, Victron inverter, 12 volt fridge, 230 volt freezer. Once thecfreezervhas cooled down to temperature it draws about the same power as the fridge, around 30Ah per 24 hours.

Having worked for years in the critical power industry, designing in reliability is ingrained in me.

Having a 230 volt fridge fed from an inverter MUST be less reliable as failure of either element results in the loss of the fridge.

That said, when the fridge fails I would probably replace it with a mains one because of the lower cost and because I am a leisure, rather than liveaboard boater.

But one of the benefits of 230v 'stuff' is that if it fails, you can phone Argos and have a replacement delivered the same day (as long as you know where you are)

12v 'stuff' costs 10x the price & pretty much relies on you being somewhere near a chandlers.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But one of the benefits of 230v 'stuff' is that if it fails, you can phone Argos and have a replacement delivered the same day (as long as you know where you are)

12v 'stuff' costs 10x the price & pretty much relies on you being somewhere near a chandlers.

Very true, and that comes under the "mean time to repair" part of the availability calculation, but doesnt affect the reliability calculation.

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pretty sure they don't sell decent inverters in Argos. I can manage perfectly well without my inverter for weeks if necessary.

• Greenie 1

With a gas fridge you don't need all this highly expensive electical stuff, big inverters, bigger battery banks, bigger alternators, bigger generators, excessive engine running, larger solar panel arrays to cope with electric fwidges and fweezers. All you do is lug a heavy gas wottles about a bit more fwequently instead. :closedeyes:

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No it doesn't. A 240Vac fridge cost typically £100, while a 12Vdc fridge is typically £500.  That's only five times the price. Half what you said.

Please don't mislead people by exaggerating! 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't want to have that inverter running 24/7.  The reality is that there are pros and cons to 12v and 240v, there's no need to try and 'win' an argument here.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Last year I replaced a busted 700 quids worth of Shoreline fridge freezer with a mains A rated Bush fridge £90, The lady is very pleased with it and says it uses much less electricity. She reads the meter a lot.

Clearly using a landline then.  If permanently plugged in, then a 240v fridge is a no brainer.  For those running fridges off batteries the situation is less clear cut.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I wouldn't want to have that inverter running 24/7.  The reality is that there are pros and cons to 12v and 240v, there's no need to try and 'win' an argument here.

Clearly using a landline then.  If permanently plugged in, then a 240v fridge is a no brainer.  For those running fridges off batteries the situation is less clear cut.

Yes, but it works from the boats Sterling inverter too when she goes to empty the bog.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There is the extra battery consumption running an inverter 24/7 but if that can be afforded then I would rather leave the inverter running than switching on and off each day. Probably no scientific argument its better, but most things seem to fail at switch on

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No it doesn't. A 240Vac fridge cost typically £100, while a 12Vdc fridge is typically £500.  That's only five times the price. Half what you said.

Please don't mislead people by exaggerating! 

OK - Slight eggsageration.

£90 for a 230v fridge

I paid £600 + VAT (£720) for a 12v Waeco

So 8x not 10x

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you have read the OP's other thread he appears to have little idea about fitting out a boat from scratch, asking about everything from what wood to use (OSB, ply, etc) to make the floor to paint, to electrics. I would suggest that he may be grateful for being given options.

When you have no knowledge it is unlikely that you will know what questions to ask.

Alan, you are wasting your time. The member in question has tunnel vision and refuses advice from those of us who actualy have the experience. Some time ago he challenged me on the length of boat able to pass through Thorne lock which is 70 foot ( been there done it at least twice ) this was backed up by another forum member who purchased my 70 footer from me at Pollington and took it through Thorne lock as a newbie boater on his first day of narrowboat ownership, he also stated this on the same thread on the forum. You can please some of the people some of the time etc etc etc.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is the extra battery consumption running an inverter 24/7 but if that can be afforded then I would rather leave the inverter running than switching on and off each day. Probably no scientific argument its better, but most things seem to fail at switch on

My combi is never switched off, the boat is 11 years old and the combi is as fitted. It draws 0.4 of an amp when powering nothing. Mains kit for full time living is much much better in every way unless fred and Wilma spec the boat.

My last boat had a12v Shoreline fridge. Don't know how much they cost (it came with the boat) and it worked well.

As long as you were cruising every day the batteries were kept charged,but without running the engine it would deplete the leisure battery in about 48 hours.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Alan, you are wasting your time. The member in question has tunnel vision and refuses advice from those of us who actualy have the experience. Some time ago he challenged me on the length of boat able to pass through Thorne lock which is 70 foot ( been there done it at least twice ) this was backed up by another forum member who purchased my 70 footer from me at Pollington and took it through Thorne lock as a newbie boater on his first day of narrowboat ownership, he also stated this on the same thread on the forum. You can please some of the people some of the time etc etc etc.

My combi is never switched off, the boat is 11 years old and the combi is as fitted. It draws 0.4 of an amp when powering nothing. Mains kit for full time living is much much better in every way unless fred and Wilma spec the boat.

Where have I asked for advice? I'm not asking for advice off anyone, If I wanted advice I would seek it from friends that build boats for a living and work on the canals, people I trust.

Can I ask you when you took your 70ft boat through Thorne lock I remember you said you went down backwards, why was that?

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Where have I asked for advice? I'm not asking for advice off anyone, If I wanted advice I would seek it from friends that build boats for a living and work on the canals, people I trust.

Can I ask you when you took your 70ft boat through Thorne lock I remember you said you went down backwards, why was that?

Is because of how the gates work?

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Is because of how the gates work?

Is that a question or the answer? It can't be to keep off the Cill as I took three boats down it this Summer, a 60x12ft Aqualine, 58ft Liverpool and a 61.5ft Jonathan's each time the lock was manned by CaRT staff and they all said it is a deep Cill and no chance of getting caught and easily went back with each boat to top gates to get out, So maybe something has changed some how as I can't see a reason to go down backwards except to ride the Cill with the Bow.

Anyway Pete good effort with helping your neighbours the other week when you flooded, well done and all the best.

Edited by PD1964

12 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Is that a question or the answer? It can't be to keep off the Cill as I took three boats down it this Summer, a 60x12ft Aqualine, 58ft Liverpool and a 61.5ft Jonathan's each time the lock was manned by CaRT staff and they all said it is a deep Cill and no chance of getting caught and easily went back with each boat to top gates to get out, So maybe something has changed some how as I can't see a reason to go down backwards except to ride the Cill with the Bow.

Anyway Pete good effort with helping your neighbours the other week when you flooded, well done and all the best.

When I had my old boat 60 foot plus 2 foot of rear fender, I went through 57 foot long wide locks but was advised that I might have to go through some locks backwards. 

It's a bit muddy so I am told at Tullys but one boat lost ain't bad 

Edited by peterboat

Yes looked bad around the lock and all the way down your stretch, speaking to CaRT a month ago, there's plans for the old Court site to be redeveloped into a entertainment zone with visitor moorings and a sanitary station. I think they will have to seriously re-evaluate their flood plan after seeing it the other week. Glad your all ok and hopefully getting back to normality.