57x10 weight

Bromleyxphil

Featured Posts

Hi guys, spoken to tuckeys about boat transport.  They told me to get a local crane company in to do a site survey as I want to build my boat here at home.  How much does a 57x10 weigh in empty and then fully fitted.  Ball park figures. My guess is 15 then 20 ton?

phil

3 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Hi guys, spoken to tuckeys about boat transport.  They told me to get a local crane company in to do a site survey as I want to build my boat here at home.  How much does a 57x10 weigh in empty and then fully fitted.  Ball park figures. My guess is 15 then 20 ton?

phil

ISTR Blackrose mentioning his finished boat weighs 33 tonnes, but its wider than yours at 12 ft.

When you buy your steel, it will be priced in tonnes and you'll order in tonnes AIUI, so you'll know roughly what the bare shell will weigh. 

• Happy 1

Those replies all sound about right to me. Looking at the physics of it, your boat will be about 18x3 metres, so if it would sit half a metre (about 1'8") into the water, it would displace 27 cubic metres of water i.e. 27 tonnes.

So my guess would be maybe in the range 20-25 tonnes when empty, and 25-30 tonnes when fitted out depending on the boat's design and what you put in it. I suggest you make a list of the weight of the steel and everything else, maybe in a spreadsheet, and add it up.

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Those replies all sound about right to me. Looking at the physics of it, your boat will be about 18x3 metres, so if it would sit half a metre (about 1'8") into the water, it would displace 27 cubic metres of water i.e. 27 tonnes.

So my guess would be maybe in the range 20-25 tonnes when empty, and 25-30 tonnes when fitted out depending on the boat's design and what you put in it. I suggest you make a list of the weight of the steel and everything else, maybe in a spreadsheet, and add it up.

I like this answer, and consider it my lesson for the day.  I always thought, and I am not sure why, other than someone must have told me, that the weight of a boat was different to it’s displacement.  Having now read further I have learned that I was wrong!

• Happy 1

If a few tons makes a big difference you could leave the ballast out until it goes in the water then lift the floorboards to put the ballast in later. That means that you will make the floor in removable sections which is a Good Thing. Good luck, its a big job.

3 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

I like this answer, and consider it my lesson for the day.  I always thought, and I am not sure why, other than someone must have told me, that the weight of a boat was different to it’s displacement.  Having now read further I have learned that I was wrong!

No, displacement IS the posh word for it's weight!!

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do you hold that a boat of say, 20 tonnes displacement on Mars would weigh other than 20 tonnes on Mars then?

:icecream:

Yep.

The mass would be the same, but the weight would be different ...

In fact, 20 tonnes on Earth is about 7.5 tonnes on Mars.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yep.

The mass would be the same, but the weight would be different ...

In fact, 20 tonnes on Earth is about 7.5 tonnes on Mars.

Whoever mentioned mass?

Displacement and weight are the same thing innit, duh....

16 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

has that 'someone' never heard of Archimedes?  -   think     Eureka!!    ........................    and I am not referring to the EU.