BEST PLACE TO BUY A DECENT SIZED 12V FRIDGE PLEASE

marybeth

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

Could anyone advise me on the best place to buy a 12v Fridge. Im looking on the internet and they are coming out between £500-£1500. Its for an under counter fridge. As we will be living aboard i want a fridge bigger than 50ltr because i eat a lot haha.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mary 

There's a pretty big discussion about 12V fridges here:

For me, Inlander Low Voltage are about the best value you can get - not necessarily the best fridge although mine has been excellent, but certainly great value.

15 minutes ago, marybeth said:

Hi Guys

Could anyone advise me on the best place to buy a 12v Fridge. Im looking on the internet and they are coming out between £500-£1500. Its for an under counter fridge. As we will be living aboard i want a fridge bigger than 50ltr because i eat a lot haha.

Thanks Mary 

Hi Mary

There are loads of threads on here re fridges. My and many full time live aboards opinions is forget 12 volt overpriced stuff and instal a good quality inverter and buy VASTLY cheaper and better with huge choice from mains equipment.

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Midland Chandlers has 15% off on, I think, the 29th for Black Friday.

As a footnote, I was told the Freaky Fridays have been discontinued.

You've not been to @mrsmelly's on a Friday then. Freaky Friday are most definitely alive and well. ?

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Mary

There are loads of threads on here re fridges. My and many full time live aboards opinions is forget 12 volt overpriced stuff and instal a good quality inverter and buy VASTLY cheaper and better with huge choice from mains equipment.

Mrsmelly often recommends Mastervolt as a good choice.

The Mastervolt Mass Sine 12/1200 for example will run a large fridge and only costs £1,138.00.

Suddenly the £12v fridge for £750 looks a lot better value doesn't it!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, marybeth said:

Hi Guys

Thanks Mary 

I did all this a couple of years ago... agonising over a cheap 240v fridge via the inverter, but my Sterling inverter draws 4A when on, so I would have had to buy a new inverter with a low quiescent current - defeated the object of saving money, so I forgot that idea in a nanosecond or two.

If you have got the money then, once you have bought your expensive 12V fridge, within about 6 months you will have forgotten the expense, and be appreciating the facility of the fridge, and the simplicity of it being connected to your 12V circuit.

I only have a small space for the fridge, so paid £500 for a small Waeco from Ely Chandlers, (they are no longer trading - which is a shame). Great fridge, in that it does what it says on the tin. No idea how it compares to others on the market.

If I were in your position, I'd look for a Waeco that fits your space, and has the right fridge/freezer split, buy it, and forget the expense - perhaps easier said than done :) 

ETA: if you have a very efficient inverter, with a very low quiescent current, a 240v fridge may work well for you :) 

I think Charles Sterling did a video on Fridges and inverters a while ago..... probably worth a watch. I'll post a link if I find it, otherwise it should be findable with a YouTube search.

Edited by Richard10002

5 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

But the OP may already have a suitable inverter...

or be planning to buy one.

You're right, if the OP already has an inverter and keeps it on all the time, the 240v is a no-brainer. 

But if that were the case, they wouldn't have started a thread asking about 12v fridges would they?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mrsmelly often recommends Mastervolt as a good choice.

The Mastervolt Mass Sine 12/1200 for example will run a large fridge and only costs £1,138.00.

Suddenly the £12v fridge for £750 looks a lot better value doesn't it!

I have a mastervolt and can also run a bread maker, boil a kettle, make toast, power a standard TV and charge my laptop, run the coffee maker as well as running a fridge 

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a mastervolt and can also run a bread maker, boil a kettle, make toast, power a standard TV and charge my laptop, run the coffee maker as well as running a fridge 

Well, if it could mop the floor too, thats better value than a Maid. Is there an orifice for the mop handle?

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Presumably you have a nuclear power station on board too, to recharge the batteries after doing all that lot with your Mastervolt?

48 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Presumably you have a nuclear power station on board too, to recharge the batteries after doing all that lot with your Mastervolt?

No, just an alternator on a BD3 but I do cruise every day we are onboard. No shore supply and 2 small solar panels that just keep the batteries topped up while the boat is left.