Fire in tunnels

grockell

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I often wonder what good the fire boat moored at the north end would be at getting to a boat burning in the front going south or middle of a boat stream mid tunnel. Glad it is there though, never seen it move. Will it start on demand?

Apparently, when the tunnel keeper hears the signal from a boat in the tunnel that they are in difficulty, he summons the two guys who steer the rescue tug. As the guys could be 5 minutes or half an hour away there might be a delay in the rescue boat setting out. 

Haggis

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I often wonder what good the fire boat moored at the north end would be at getting to a boat burning in the front going south or middle of a boat stream mid tunnel. Glad it is there though, never seen it move. Will it start on demand?

I think it's main purpose is to retrieve the boat (or the wreckage) rather than to put the fire out. I'm not sure anyone other than the fire brigade should be going in to douse the flames! 

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I suspect its purpose is to (as quickly and safely as possible) get the wreckage and hence the fire out the tunnel before it damages the structure / sinks in the channel.

On 20/11/2019 at 17:01, Arthur Marshall said:

I never found out who decided it as I'd been going through with the fire for twenty years,and no one would tell me.

I think I'd get bored boating even the Llangollen for 20 years let alone Harecastle tunnel .... with or without my stove on.