Latest bright idea from CRT

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

.................optional cc tracking info for CRT cruising compliance.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This is the big brother we could do without on the canals.

But think of how much money that would free-up for developing new logo's, tarmacking the towpath etc.

Get rid of all the 'Enforcement Team' and just have one person sat in an office with a computer tracking every boats location, knowing if it is licenced, insured and has a BSSC

Something we should all vote for.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Of course, the simple solution for those who don't want to be tracked is to not use the app, or to disable that feature on the app.  The problem is, that crt might be able to tell who has the app but has disabled the feature and then start persecuting that boater.

I suspect CRT already know who is not playing by their rules, and currently use their checkers to keep an eye on them.  This just improves accuracy, more so for those that do play by their rules and those that don’t.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But think of how much money that would free-up for developing new logo's, tarmacking the towpath etc.

Get rid of all the 'Enforcement Team' and just have one person sat in an office with a computer tracking every boats location, knowing if it is licenced, insured and has a BSSC

Something we should all vote for.

I could have 10 phones on the roof of my boat, each registered to a cc boat.  I wonder how long it would take CRT to realise that there wasn’t a convoy of boats wandering the system???

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

I suspect CRT already know who is not playing by their rules, and currently use their checkers to keep an eye on them.  This just improves accuracy, more so for those that do play by their rules and those that don’t.

I could have 10 phones on the roof of my boat, each registered to a cc boat.  I wonder how long it would take CRT to realise that there wasn’t a convoy of boats wandering the system???

That's like saying you could have 10 phones registered to your bank account and used for identity verification -- good luck with that. I'm sure CART would apply the same technology everyone else does to prevent this happening.

On the "big brother" front, if you're meeting the CC rules it would make your life much easier to prove this, avoiding false accusations of breaking them because the spotters missed your boat. In return for this CART would know where you are -- and like all other apps, if you don't want this then turn tracking off, and don't then complain if you get unfairly accused of breaking the rules.

There are many benefits of apps knowing where you are, otherwise people wouldn't use this facility, and you're not forced to. This "CART app" would only be different if they made tracking a condition of a license, and I can't see them ever trying to do this because the courts would shoot it down in flames.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Or just find some friends, buy the cheapest smartphone/tablet on the market and play "swap the phone" every 2 weeks.

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's like saying you could have 10 phones registered to your bank account and used for identity verification -- good luck with that. I'm sure CART would apply the same technology everyone else does to prevent this happening.

Not really.  If 10 people each buy a phone, load the app and register their phone with the crt and then put their phone on my roof it would work just fine, until CRT noticed there was no convoy......But joking aside it would be less noticeable with just one or two extra phones.  But is was really said in jest.....

A new APP may be of use to boaters, but then such a facility would depend on the electronic devices boaters have. The APP concept is a child of the present and suits certain people, but not all. If its believed that this should be the main form of communication for information then there are those that will not receive it, or choose not to have it. On a related point the CRT is only one navigation authority, will this new APP have data for all the others, I wonder ? 

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Indeed they do -- in which case given OpenCanalMap the idea isn't original either...

Yes I know it's a student project and wish the student well, but she might well be unaware of this issue and be marked down for it.

Only If whoever appraised her project is familiar with canal map applications. ?

A pretty remote chance of getting rumbled I would have thought.

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Only If whoever appraised her project is familiar with canal map applications. ?

A pretty remote chance of getting rumbled I would have thought.

Anyone appraising the project who doesn't type "online canal map" into Google and look at the results before doing the appraisal, shouldn't be doing appraisals. Plagiarism is a big problem in universities and checking for it should be the first step in any kind of review.