Latest bright idea from CRT

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Well if this gets off the ground the CCs wont have a problem showing where they have been, they could even do it on their bike, They plan to develop a new canal navigation online App

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdUKoe0okp6PN6IcG3URJwDnPo_jpeolkcGYOhuY3xUtPyUww/viewform

29 minutes ago, pete.i said:

And your point is ?????? Or are you just having yet another go at the Canal and River Trust because it happens to be the forum band wagon at present?

I think his point was that they seem to be reinventing the wheel -- why do all this over again from scratch when there's a pretty good solution that they could maybe start from? (license, collaborate with, buy, add to...)

Done properly an app supported by CART could be very useful, especially if they did a proper job of integrating (and updating!) navigation notices.

Even better if they could fold some (or all?) of the canalplan functionality into it so it could take in a journey plan, and then show in real-time when you could expect to arrive somewhere... ?

33 minutes ago, pete.i said:

And your point is ?????? Or are you just having yet another go at the Canal and River Trust because it happens to be the forum band wagon at present?

I am so sorry you didn't like my post. but nowhere in my comment did I bash CRT but suggested it would track CC's even if they carry the phone on their bick. Maybe its just your view of CRT and what you chose to read into it.

• Happy 1

I think some are missing the first part of this persons survey, he is a 3rd year student attempting an app as a part of his course, as he states -

'I am a 3rd year student at Loughborough University and for my Part C project I am working with the Canal and River Trust to develop a navigation APP for use along the waterways. As part of my research I am conducting a survey to find out more user based information.'

So it's not CRT who have set this up.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, IanD said:

I think his point was that they seem to be reinventing the wheel -- why do all this over again from scratch when there's a pretty good solution that they could maybe start from? (license, collaborate with, buy, add to...)

It is probably because the guy needs a project and CRT are happy to work with him as part of his studies.   It is a shame if the hate (perhaps that is too strang a word say mistrust) of CRT should prevent some student from being able to work on a project of his/her choosing.

Just think of it as giving a student a hand with their studies, even if CRT took it up you have no need to use it.

Beaten by Kendorr

Based on the original post and the subsequent discussion of this on Facebook, I do think that people are rather over reacting.  This is a kid doing a final year project.  As is the norm with these things its only real purpose is as part of the education process.  It does not matter that there are existing tools out there that already so this, it is just a project.

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

This seems to be a thing at Loughborough - didn't we have a survey like this a year or so back, about facilities? 

Degrees require a bit of original work for their finals, for a desk subject degree you need a desk project, so a survey and analysis with an outline of a solution is maybe what is required.  So if boaters are good survey responders, expect more......

8 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Degrees require a bit of original work for their finals, for a desk subject degree you need a desk project, so a survey and analysis with an outline of a solution is maybe what is required.  So if boaters are good survey responders, expect more......

Indeed they do -- in which case given OpenCanalMap the idea isn't original either...

Yes I know it's a student project and wish the student well, but she might well be unaware of this issue and be marked down for it.

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

This seems to be a thing at Loughborough - didn't we have a survey like this a year or so back, about facilities? 

Probably means there’s a supervisor with boating interests on the staff and of course they have a canal on the doorstep.

56 minutes ago, IanD said:

Indeed they do -- in which case given OpenCanalMap the idea isn't original either...

Yes I know it's a student project and wish the student well, but she might well be unaware of this issue and be marked down for it.

Ah but does open canal map give real time’ stoppage information and lock usage etc data to crt to assist with water resource planning etc.....  Not to mention being able to report faults with an accurate location and optional cc tracking info for CRT cruising compliance.  So plenty of opportunity for some original ideas.

Though I agree that if it results in just a copy of an existing app, then marks will be low.

Edited by Chewbacka

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Ah but does open canal map give real time’ stoppage information and lock usage etc data to crt to assist with water resource planning etc.....  Not to mention being able to report faults with an accurate location and optional cc tracking info for CRT cruising compliance.  So plenty of opportunity for some original ideas.

Yes it does.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

This is the big brother we could do without on the canals.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Yes it does.

This is the big brother we could do without on the canals.

Didn’t say it was something I like, but who knows..........

Anyway, given CRT progress on the app for working the bridges on the G&S nothing will actually happen.........

Edited by Chewbacka

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

Didn’t say it was something I like, but who knows..........

Of course, the simple solution for those who don't want to be tracked is to not use the app, or to disable that feature on the app.  The problem is, that crt might be able to tell who has the app but has disabled the feature and then start persecuting that boater.