Hot water circuit design

jetzi

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

A lot of heat from the stove usually comes from the flue. Putting it outside wastes all that. 

And with most of the flue outside, the flue gases will chill quickly and the stove will not draw properly.

And how are you going to seal where the flue passes diagonally through the bulkhead?

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And with most of the flue outside, the flue gases will chill quickly and the stove will not draw properly.

And how are you going to seal where the flue passes diagonally through the bulkhead?

I can lag the flue outside.

I was planning on sealing with rope. I feel like this is less of a problem than it is on the roof since it is mostly dry there. How is the hole in the roof usually sealed?

Edited by ivan&alice

Where the flue fits into the roof collar. First of all the flue should go right through the collar and maybe stand a very few mm proud at the top. Then gap between collar and flue is (as Alan says) packed with glass rope and I then seal the gap at the top with high temperature silicon soi water cant leak between collar and flue. Then use a double skinned chimney and be sure the inner skin drips condensate into the flue, not over the top of the collar.

I've decided to stick with convention and send the flue straight up out of the roof. I'll move the calorifier forward to make space for the flue to rise behind it.

What's the closest I can have the 4kW stove to the back wall? There would be an air gap of around 150mm between the stove and a backboard made of 8mm steel plate, and I can place heat board behind that. Then there is Celotex insulation (which I could remove?) and the steel bulkhead. No wood is in that wall.

The closer I can get the stove to the back wall the less the calorifier needs to encroach on my living space and the less dead space there would be in the corner next to the flue. Would it be too close if I reduced that air gap to 100mm?

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I've decided to stick with convention and send the flue straight up out of the roof. I'll move the calorifier forward to make space for the flue to rise behind it.

What's the closest I can have the 4kW stove to the back wall? There would be an air gap of around 150mm between the stove and a backboard made of 8mm steel plate, and I can place heat board behind that. Then there is Celotex insulation (which I could remove?) and the steel bulkhead. No wood is in that wall.

The closer I can get the stove to the back wall the less the calorifier needs to encroach on my living space and the less dead space there would be in the corner next to the flue. Would it be too close if I reduced that air gap to 100mm?

The oft quoted :

Flue pipe to be 3x its diameter away from the wall, and. stove distance away from the wall - as below.

Screenshot (28).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The oft quoted :

Screenshot (28).png

Thanks, I've referred to that PDF which I got from http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf. It doesn't specify how far the stove must be from the hearth. I'm going to take it that since the hearth is non-combustible, and since I will be lining it with heat resistant board, that it should be OK to have an air gap of about 100mm between the steel hearth backboard and the back of the stove.

1 minute ago, ivan&alice said:

Thanks, I've referred to that PDF which I got from http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf. It doesn't specify how far the stove must be from the hearth. I'm going to take it that since the hearth is non-combustible, and since I will be lining it with heat resistant board, that it should be OK to have an air gap of about 100mm between the steel hearth backboard and the back of the stove.

Ahh - Hearth - not back / side walls

I think that 'normally' the height of the stove legs give sufficient protection when mounted on concrete slabs.

We porcelain tiled onto the concrete slab and never had a problem. (3-4Kw Pipsqueak stove)

IMG_20130912_123236.jpg