MIcrosoft v LINUX

rustynewbery

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It should be able to run as a generic hpgl device.

Try crossover.

I knew someone would say this (about the printer).  It would print, but it would not allow me to enter custom paper sizes. I sell full size plans for kayaks and they have to printed accurately and on my custom sized paper. The generic driver would not allow me to do that. 

Have not heard of crossover but will look it up.

28 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

I knew someone would say this (about the printer).  It would print, but it would not allow me to enter custom paper sizes. I sell full size plans for kayaks and they have to printed accurately and on my custom sized paper. The generic driver would not allow me to do that.

Send

IP

PS length, width

as your initialization codes.

If you let me know the model and firmware of your plotter I might be able to add a few tricks to the generic set.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Send

IP

PS length, width

as your initialization codes.

If you let me know the model and firmware of your plotter I might be able to add a few tricks to the generic set.

I really do appreciate this.  But I have an old, slow, windows laptop set up on my desk that I print from and it's set up just for this. I hate to change methods now. 

• Happy 1

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Crumbs, you have some good stuff tucked away in your cracker barrel! Is there anything you don't know about?!  ;)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

... I have it as a poster on my son's bedroom wall.  Next to Kipling's If ...

If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;   

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Edited by TheBiscuits
Quoting for clarity!

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Didn't have to do any of that. 

Just took the Apple out of the box and it worked...

That's OK if you have a grand or two to spend on your IT provision. Me, I like to upcycle old kit at minimum cost,more as a challenge than financial reasons . My  free 2006 Dell does very well with Ubuntu 18. For example, I plugged an old scanner/printer into it last week, instantly recognised it, got hold of the drivers without prompting and was ready to use in a few seconds. This post is coming from my 12year old iMac, it's been great until a week or two ago when support for the OS was ended by Apple and it can't be upgraded any more. Safari has started to go a bit flaky, so switched to Firefox browser but it's the start of the end for the Mac, unless I install Linux instead of OSX. I visited the Apple shop last week, I will not be spending four figure sums there when there are free and quite adequate Linux options available.?

As for Microsoft, I have  thankfully managed without it except for XP on an old laptop that runs the diagnostics and things  for my  Rover 75.

6 minutes ago, billh said:

That's OK if you have a grand or two to spend on your IT provision. Me, I like to upcycle old kit at minimum cost,more as a challenge than financial reasons . My  free 2006 Dell does very well with Ubuntu 18. For example, I plugged an old scanner/printer into it last week, instantly recognised it, got hold of the drivers without prompting and was ready to use in a few seconds. This post is coming from my 12year old iMac, it's been great until a week or two ago when support for the OS was ended by Apple and it can't be upgraded any more. Safari has started to go a bit flaky, so switched to Firefox browser but it's the start of the end for the Mac, unless I install Linux instead of OSX. I visited the Apple shop last week, I will not be spending four figure sums there when there are free and quite adequate Linux options available.?

As for Microsoft, I have  thankfully managed without it except for XP on an old laptop that runs the diagnostics and things  for my  Rover 75.

Thing is, windows was going wrong for me almost every day when I drew a line under it. The sheer amount of money it was costing me in wasted time fixing stuff when phenomenal and turning into a real handicap for my business(es). 

Jolly good for you that you have time to twart about with Ubantu and 13 year old Dells. I need stuff tht 'just works' without having to climb the long and steep learning curve that I found came with Linux.

I can earn the cost of the Macs in such a short time it was a total no-brainer decision to buy them. Windows was coating me dear so as I said, I gave Linux 24 hrs of my time to prove it was better and it failed miserably. 

• Greenie 1