Boating Season

Tuscan

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

An angling competition?

Is it a fair fight, I mean, do the fish ever win?

Fishing is a battle of wits between Man and Fish, and very often the fish win.

Earlier this year we encountered a very long and empty pound, went to start filling it up and found a huge fishing match on the next pound up. They asked us to wait till the fishing was over but as I was 90% sure it was them who emptied it they just had to put up with the flow of water whilst we filled the pound.

At Kintbury (K&A) there is a CRT notice on the VISITOR MOORINGS telling boats to leave a 5m gap for the fishers. This is very WRONG. It also means that most boaters leave this gap every day even though fishing happens only occasionally.

.............Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

At Kintbury (K&A) there is a CRT notice on the VISITOR MOORINGS telling boats to leave a 5m gap for the fishers. This is very WRONG. It also means that most boaters leave this gap every day even though fishing happens only occasionally.

.............Dave

Thanks for that, I came across this on the G&S

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

.............Dave

I thought I read somewhere that the 5m gap was only on winter moorings.

EDIT: to add it was in #18 of this thread I think.

Edited by Jerra

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I thought I read somewhere that the 5m gap was only on winter moorings.

Do we have to leave a five metre gap between boats on short stay moorings to allow for fishing?

No, on visitor moorings it’s about using the space economically and leaving minimal gaps and double breasting if needs be to allow the maximum number of boats to use the site. That said, on designated winter moorings we do ask boats to leave the five metre gap between boats to allow for fishing. And if you chose a casual towpath mooring, again please leave gaps large enough for people to fish, ideally five metres in length as everyone should have the chance to enjoy our waterways.

What happens if someone is fishing in the last available mooring space at the short stay mooring and I want to moor up?

If there’s only one spot left on the visitor mooring and someone is fishing there, the boat wishing to moor up has priority and the angler will need to share the space and move up. If several spaces are available to moor in the visitor mooring area and there are people fishing, please share the space and pick a spot that allows them to continue to fish.

It seems that the guidance is a little different depending if you are reading the 'Boaters Guidance' pages or the "Fishermans Guidance' pages

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks for that, I came across this on the G&S

I really should have done a complaint to CRT about this, still might, but I really want just to enjoy boating and not bang my head against a brick wall, but I realise this is selfish attitude.

Kintbury mooring is quite short and some is now lost to CRT workboats, leaving gaps reduces it still further. Its a popular hire boat spot and the pubs need that business.

................Dave

12 hours ago, dmr said:

Fishing is a battle of wits between Man and Fish, and very often the fish win.

.............Dave

Surry fishing is a battle between. fishermen and boaters that fishermen  very often win???

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do we have to leave a five metre gap between boats on short stay moorings to allow for fishing?

No, on visitor moorings it’s about using the space economically and leaving minimal gaps and double breasting if needs be to allow the maximum number of boats to use the site. That said, on designated winter moorings we do ask boats to leave the five metre gap between boats to allow for fishing. And if you chose a casual towpath mooring, again please leave gaps large enough for people to fish, ideally five metres in length as everyone should have the chance to enjoy our waterways.

What happens if someone is fishing in the last available mooring space at the short stay mooring and I want to moor up?

If there’s only one spot left on the visitor mooring and someone is fishing there, the boat wishing to moor up has priority and the angler will need to share the space and move up. If several spaces are available to moor in the visitor mooring area and there are people fishing, please share the space and pick a spot that allows them to continue to fish.

It seems that the guidance is a little different depending if you are reading the 'Boaters Guidance' pages or the "Fishermans Guidance' pages

This is typical of weak management. Telling everyone what they want to hear in a vain effort to avoid conflict

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

14 hours ago, dmr said:

At Kintbury (K&A) there is a CRT notice on the VISITOR MOORINGS telling boats to leave a 5m gap for the fishers.

There are similar signs on the VMs at Froxfield.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that the same fishing club? Kintbury fishers or something like that?  They have at least a few very unpleasant members.  Is Froxfield a CRT notice? I thought it was only a fishers notice, and is it actually visitor moorings or just a popular 14 day spot?

.............Dave

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are similar signs on the VMs at Froxfield.

• Greenie 1