Boating Season

Tuscan

Featured Posts

It is contradictory.

A boater would say that, but a Fisherman would say it says "First come first served"

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is contradictory.

A boater would say that, but a Fisherman would say it says "First come first served"

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

I think you are right

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is contradictory.

I don't think it is ambivalent.  A fisherman can fish from a marked visitor mooring, but he can't impede a boat mooring there.  Mooring is a verb as well as a noun, so if you want to moor at a marked mooring, the moorer has the right of way.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think it is ambivalent.  A fisherman can fish from a marked visitor mooring, but he can't impede a boat mooring there.  Mooring is a verb as well as a noun, so if you want to moor at a marked mooring, the moorer has the right of way.

That being the case, then there would be no need for the "first come first served" statement.

If you are correct

1) A Fisherman arrives 1st, starts fishing and a boat comes, he must pack up as the boat mooring has priority.

2) A Boat is located where the Fisherman wishes to 'drown his worm' but it is a mooring so the boat has priority.

And, yet, nowhere in the T&Cs, or guidance to boaters, or guidance to fisherfolk does it say that boats have priority - we may feel it should say that but that does not alter the facts that it doesn't state that.

However, when the CRT Fishing Team announce(sorry - trumpet with Press Releases) a major National angling competition on the Shroppie in mid August (when there are no boaters around obviously) - with 500 pegs being used - woe betide anyone trying to moor up during the competition.

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

However, when the CRT Fishing Team announce(sorry - trumpet with Press Releases) a major National angling competition on the Shroppie in mid August (when there are no boaters around obviously) - with 500 pegs being used - woe betide anyone trying to moor up during the competition.

Has anyone every had a breakdown or fouled propeller whilst passing one of the fishing matches?

If so what happened. Did you get lynched or did they move up to help you moor and fix your boat?

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

An angling competition?

Is it a fair fight, I mean, do the fish ever win?

Even if some at CRT might want to shut the whole system over winter I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Would be far too much kick back from businesses...e.g. anyone doing short trips to local boatyards for boat maintenece and the growing winter hire boat scene and winter floating markets. And they know a growing number of liveaboards keep going all winter. And how would it even work? They can't padlock every lock shut? And what would the benefit be to CRT? They already do as much winter maintenance as they want, I doubt it would save any money in terms of staffing? 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Even if some at CRT might want to shut the whole system over winter I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Would be far too much kick back from businesses...e.g. anyone doing short trips to local boatyards for boat maintenece and the growing winter hire boat scene and winter floating markets. And they know a growing number of liveaboards keep going all winter. And how would it even work? They can't padlock every lock shut? And what would the benefit be to CRT? They already do as much winter maintenance as they want, I doubt it would save any money in terms of staffing? 

Not to mention the coal boats. 

Not much demand for coal in the summer, and without the winter coal sales, the year round diesel and gas sales might not be viable, so we could lose them completely.

This would be a shame as not only do they provide a wonderful service, but they attract people to the canals as they are a rare opportunity to see a working boat doing a real job.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Not much demand for coal in the summer, and without the winter coal sales, the year round diesel and gas sales might not be viable, so we could lose them completely.

This would be a shame as not only do they provide a wonderful service, but they attract people to the canals as they are a rare opportunity to see a working boat doing a real job.

What summer? Last year was ok (too hot, in fact) , but every other year I've had my fire going through half of July and the second half of August! 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What summer? Last year was ok (too hot, in fact) , but every other year I've had my fire going through half of July and the second half of August! 

That's why I said not much demand, there is probably only you and a couple of others on the whole system buying coal in July/August. ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

John Jackson sold Roach for this reason, it became impossible to his rounds using the boat in the last few years.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

John Jackson sold Roach for this reason, it became impossible to his rounds using the boat in the last few years.

Why? Because of the winter sausages (shurely shome mishtake here) leaving him stranded in one place for ages?

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why? Because of the winter sausages (shurely shome mishtake here) leaving him stranded in one place for ages?

"The reasons for packing up are partly personal, and partly the increasing difficulty that we were finding in dealing with the Canal and River Trust particularly with regard to the planning of their winter works programme. It was becoming nearly impossible to get around in the winter months - the sharp witted among you will immediately seize upon the fact that most people require coal when it is cold, i.e. the winter months. This meant that I ended up delivering mainly by road, thus defeating the object of my particular exercise. The large license fee that CRT were taking off me in exchange for no certainty of navigation at all also stuck in my craw."

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

"The reasons for packing up are partly personal, and partly the increasing difficulty that we were finding in dealing with the Canal and River Trust particularly with regard to the planning of their winter works programme. It was becoming nearly impossible to get around in the winter months - the sharp witted among you will immediately seize upon the fact that most people require coal when it is cold, i.e. the winter months. This meant that I ended up delivering mainly by road, thus defeating the object of my particular exercise. The large license fee that CRT were taking off me in exchange for no certainty of navigation at all also stuck in my craw."

A sad state of affairs, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

A sad state of affairs, for sure.

The canal itself is no better than previously written about, even though the Spot-Dredging Team has been through recently. Some places have been improved by the dredging, but other places left out of the programme have got worse. To my (un)trained eye, it would appear that the dredging team were left to dredge where they considered appropriate, rather than affected and interested users (me) being asked to contribute local knowledge of problem spots.