Boating Season

Tuscan

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

You miss the point.

CRT are now stating officially that there is s close season on the canals, thus starting  creeping in the complete winter shutdown they so crave.

Yes.

It's the thin edge of that particular wedge.

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Perhaps I'm reading different material, but I haven't seen any references to a "Boating Season" in any CRT publications. For example, the regular "Boaters' Update" has recently even featured an article pointing out how pleasurable winter boating can be.

Doesn't that asssume the left hand knows what the right is doing?

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's the propaganda publication to boaters telling us what we want to hear from Damian 

Propaganda or not, they don't make any reference to a "Boating Season"; do you have any references where they do?

3 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Doesn't that asssume the left hand knows what the right is doing?

No, it doesn't assume anything: it illustrates my point that I have seen no reference in any CRT material to a "Boating Season". Perhaps you can provide some references?

Slightly unrelated by there's a sign at Castleford Flood Lock which states a section of the lock mooring should not be used as a mooring as it's for use by the angling club. The sign doesn't look official - it's certainly not a CRT sign. I wonder if the angling club has taken it upon themselves to claim that bit of the lock mooring for their own.

I've no problem with fishing at all, and something I used to enjoy as a kid, but I have noticed that quite a few anglers are encroaching on lock landings more and more and one particular angler seemed to be very hesitant to move his fishing rod when I pulled up and looked pretty disgruntled when I did. On the contrary, only the other day a couple of anglers at Lemonroyd helped me out on the lock when I was going through as it's a bit of a climb out of that lock.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

So fishing from a vacant mooring is fine, but as soon as a boat appears wishing to moor, the situation has changed, and first-come-first-served no longer applies.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Is this just your assumption or do you have any solid evidence e.g press releases, statements by CEO etc?

It is being done by stealth, year after year making but more difficult to move North/South, or get into, out of Birmingham, etc

By disseminating this down through bankside staff and volunteers to spread the message without officially stating it, they reduce the possibility of Central funding withdrawal whilst getting the "closed" message out there.

If you look back a couple of weeks on Damiens weekly bit, it states..." as the main boating season draws to a close", next year it will be " as the boating season.."

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Propaganda or not, they don't make any reference to a "Boating Season"; do you have any references where they do?

No, it doesn't assume anything: it illustrates my point that I have seen no reference in any CRT material to a "Boating Season". Perhaps you can provide some references?

Funny that, I've seen them talk about a boating season loads of times.  Here's an example (under the bit about reserviors):

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-11-jan-2019

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Funny that, I've seen them talk about a boating season loads of times.  Here's an example (under the bit about reserviors):

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-11-jan-2019

For those who have difficulty with links :

While many of you will have been dreaming of a white Christmas, our Water Management team always look forward to a rainy Christmas, or at least one with prolonged, hydrologically effective rainfall in the right places to help refill our reservoirs for the next boating season!

17 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

What's the Nelson like now? Been meaning to go in but always seem to go somewhere else.

Is the food as good as last year?

We went there a couple of weeks ago and had some lunch.  It is smartened up a bit, some new furniture and new wooden flooring, but has not lost the character.  We had sandwiches for lunch and they weee very good, as was the beer, of which I probably had too much for a lunch time!

Oh, and also it was very busy with boats in Braunston, lots moving and using the locks.  Also lots moving between Braunston and Napton.

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For those who have difficulty with links :

While many of you will have been dreaming of a white Christmas, our Water Management team always look forward to a rainy Christmas, or at least one with prolonged, hydrologically effective rainfall in the right places to help refill our reservoirs for the next boating season!

I live in Cornwall and we all happily talk about the 'holiday season' whilst still happy to see plenty of visitors 12 months of the year. Of course, some businesses do take the decision to operate for only part of the year but there is no 'official' closure period . . .

• Greenie 3

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It is being done by stealth, year after year making but more difficult to move North/South, or get into, out of Birmingham, etc

By disseminating this down through bankside staff and volunteers to spread the message without officially stating it, they reduce the possibility of Central funding withdrawal whilst getting the "closed" message out there.

If you look back a couple of weeks on Damiens weekly bit, it states..." as the main boating season draws to a close", next year it will be " as the boating season.."

And it's not helped by shiny boater youtubers talking about the sic 'boating season'.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Here’s an idea. When the ‘boating season’ ends, the fishing season starts. And vice versa. 

How about that then as a compromise?

No eye winking emoji.

You are joking...............

..................aren't you?

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say this is not the case with match fishing, which is what we are discussing here. Match fishermen are every bit as serious and anal about their match fishing as boaters are about their boating.

I'm talking match fishing too Mike. I've fished in matches from local club level to the Division 1 National Championships, including a number of canal venues. No one ever made any reference to boating at all, let alone what to do if you've walked a mile or two to your pre allocated peg, which you cannot change without disqualification, and found a boat moored on it with half an hour before the "all in"!  

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I live in Cornwall and we all happily talk about the 'holiday season' whilst still happy to see plenty of visitors 12 months of the year. Of course, some businesses do take the decision to operate for only part of the year but there is no 'official' closure period . . .

Likewise for the Lake District, they have a "holiday season" however we have been in Keswick this morning and I can assure you it was alive with holiday makers.

I don't personally see any difference between somebody up here saying "as the holiday season draws to a close" (in mid September) and CRT saying it when many won't boat because of either weather or stoppages.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm talking match fishing too Mike. I've fished in matches from local club level to the Division 1 National Championships, including a number of canal venues. No one ever made any reference to boating at all, let alone what to do if you've walked a mile or two to your pre allocated peg, which you cannot change without disqualification, and found a boat moored on it with half an hour before the "all in"!  

I got stuck in the middle of a national fishing match a year or two back. Had to go all the way from the Shroppie to Tixall before I could moor up - fishermen on every vm and most lock landings. One guy on a lock got seriously annoyed as it's very difficult to work a lock singlehanding without using the landing. The swearing match went on till I'd vanished down the lock. I think I won, though. I did give up even trying to go slow, too. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I got stuck in the middle of a national fishing match a year or two back. Had to go all the way from the Shroppie to Tixall before I could moor up - fishermen on every vm and most lock landings. One guy on a lock got seriously annoyed as it's very difficult to work a lock singlehanding without using the landing. The swearing match went on till I'd vanished down the lock. I think I won, though. I did give up even trying to go slow, too. 

You illustrate my point well. I dont condone the angler's behaviour (I've had a similar issue myself when boating), but he probably had absolutely no appreciation of what could be quite easily explained before any such conflict occurred.

However, such interface issues could be avoided given proper coordination and communication by CRT and the holder of the fishing rights. In this one example of many, they could ensure that no match pegs were on a lock landing, although I'd offer there should be permanent no fishing signs on lock landings as leisure anglers regularly see this as a particularly good place to fish.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Oh, that's just a Freudian slip ?. It must have taken a lot of back-searching to find that.

Anyway, as a leisure boater, even if my engine was still knacker4d, I tend to consider the period from November to March as a non-boating season. My season opens on St Patrick's Day.  What I suppose it comes down to is that CRT pay more attention to the mass of boaters who only potter about in the summer, and a lot less than they ought to those who actually live on the water, who they could actually use as a cheap resource for advance warning of maintenance issues etc.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say this is not the case with match fishing, which is what we are discussing here. Match fishermen are every bit as serious and anal about their match fishing as boaters are about their boating.

Yeah, but a windlass makes for a more effective weapon than a roach pole! ?

9 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Exactly, fishermen, for example, are told they have priority on visitor moorings if they are there first outside the boating season. Soon keeping the navigation open outside planned stoppages will no longer be a priority.

Is that in writing somewhere?

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Is that in writing somewhere?

I posted this in Post No 18 (taken from C&RT's website

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I posted this in Post No 18 (taken from C&RT's website

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Surely this implies that fishermen can fish from a designated visitor mooring but must move when a boat wishes to moor. ?

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers