Boating Season

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Well despite recent posts from CRT and various volunteer sites about the end of the boating season it’s been very busy today. Waited at Calcutt for a boat to come down , went up with another boat with two queuing behind us and met another coming down the flight. 

followed another up Braunston crossing with a boat coming down. Glad to see boaters enjoying a 12 month boating season.

only concern was after a couple of pints in the Nelson , was suprised to see the side door TP the patio which I thought was a fire exit locked, perhaps i was wrong.

23 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Well despite recent posts from CRT and various volunteer sites about the end of the boating season it’s been very busy today. Waited at Calcutt for a boat to come down , went up with another boat with two queuing behind us and met another coming down the flight. 

followed another up Braunston crossing with a boat coming down. Glad to see boaters enjoying a 12 month boating season.

only concern was after a couple of pints in the Nelson , was suprised to see the side door TP the patio which I thought was a fire exit locked, perhaps i was wrong.

What's the Nelson like now? Been meaning to go in but always seem to go somewhere else.

Is the food as good as last year?

We were told that there is an official line now given to staff and volunteers about there being a boating close season.

When challenged, it apparently came from several training and information sessions, and is the preferred message to towpath users in the Winter Months.....although these towpath users (away from boat at the time) , set the chap straight.....along with a few other home truths on why we wouldnt become Friends.

6 hours ago, Tuscan said:

So annoying 

What's so annoying? Just that some people refer to a boating season? Really? If that's really the sort of petty thing that you find so annoying I guess your life must be amazingly hassle-free,.in which case count yourself very lucky. It seems like a first world problem to me and surely there are some much bigger issues in life and going on around the world to get annoyed about?

All Volunteer Lock Keepers are asked if they are planning to keep volunteering outside the "Boating Season" refering to the period 1st November to 31st March.In the London and S E Region a high percentage carry on throughout the year and stats are kept about the picture nationwide which I believe is close to 70%.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You miss the point.

CRT are now stating officially that there is s close season on the canals, thus starting  creeping in the complete winter shutdown they so crave.

Exactly, fishermen, for example, are told they have priority on visitor moorings if they are there first outside the boating season. Soon keeping the navigation open outside planned stoppages will no longer be a priority.

• Greenie 3

Perhaps I'm reading different material, but I haven't seen any references to a "Boating Season" in any CRT publications. For example, the regular "Boaters' Update" has recently even featured an article pointing out how pleasurable winter boating can be.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Exactly, fishermen, for example, are told they have priority on visitor moorings if they are there first outside the boating season. Soon keeping the navigation open outside planned stoppages will no longer be a priority.

How do we know CRT are telling the anglers this? 

Could it be that an angler told you? <Shock horror>

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

You miss the point.

CRT are now stating officially that there is s close season on the canals, thus starting  creeping in the complete winter shutdown they so crave.

Is this just your assumption or do you have any solid evidence e.g press releases, statements by CEO etc?

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Is this just your assumption or do you have any solid evidence e.g press releases, statements by CEO etc?

I'd think it was his observation, based on many years' boating experience (much of it, unless I'm mistaken, as a professional).

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

Is this true?  It would explain why there was a fishing match using up all the visitor moorings above and below Wolverley Lock on Sunday.

Edited by doratheexplorer

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Is this true?  It would explain why there was a fishing match using up all the visitor moorings above and below Wolverley Lock on Saturday.

It wouldn't surprise me, following on from C&RTs instructions (a couple of years ago) to leave 5 metres between moored boats to allow spaces for fishermen.

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Winter moorings

The needs of angling customers are incorporated into the terms and conditions of the issue of these permits. A five-metre gap must be kept between one boat and the next for the purposes of permitting angling from the towpath. We are exploring whether this ought to apply more generally between moored boats. Do take special care when fishing within close proximity of boats. It would not be acceptable to lean your equipment up against the boat hull, for example.

Fishing where you find moorings rings

Unless so signed to the contrary, anglers are permitted to fish where there are towpath mooring rings present, in a similar way to boaters having the right to moor where there are angling club permanent peg numbers. Mooring rings might be present underneath powerlines or within 25 metres of a lock wall approach. Clearly, fishing would not be permitted in these locations.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It wouldn't surprise me, following on from C&RTs instructions (a couple of years ago) to leave 5 metres between moored boats to allow spaces for fishermen.

Fishing at visitor moorings

At some visitor mooring sites, you will find signage that restricts angling activity. Naturally, the wording of official signage should be adhered to, not least because it could be a byelaw offence to ignore the instructions on Trust signage. In the absence of signage, the use of the towpath is on a first-come-first -served basis. Angling club agreements state ‘Licensees or permitted users should not actively obstruct or impede the mooring of craft at locations signed by the Trust as being for the purpose of mooring but for the avoidance of doubt nothing in this clause is intended to prevent fishing from signed mooring locations when there is no craft present at the mooring and there is no craft wishing to use a mooring.’

Winter moorings

The needs of angling customers are incorporated into the terms and conditions of the issue of these permits. A five-metre gap must be kept between one boat and the next for the purposes of permitting angling from the towpath. We are exploring whether this ought to apply more generally between moored boats. Do take special care when fishing within close proximity of boats. It would not be acceptable to lean your equipment up against the boat hull, for example.

Fishing where you find moorings rings

Unless so signed to the contrary, anglers are permitted to fish where there are towpath mooring rings present, in a similar way to boaters having the right to moor where there are angling club permanent peg numbers. Mooring rings might be present underneath powerlines or within 25 metres of a lock wall approach. Clearly, fishing would not be permitted in these locations.

When you say 'a couple of years ago', does that mean this doesn't apply any more?

I was going to have a word with the fishermen but chickened out, but what's the point of having designated visitor moorings with rings when the entire stretch is being fished on?

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

Exactly, some fishermen, for example, are maybe told they have priority on visitor moorings if they are there first outside the boating season. 

Fixed that for you. ;)

Most fishermen are told nothing and have very little understanding of boaters need or aims. Some angling clubs may disseminate info, some matches may include something in a briefing, but most anglers just go fishing. The reverse is true of boaters re angling, with many boaters having no understanding of the angler's point of view either. There may be info somewhere for the interested few on either side to seek out, but that won't inform the many.

Better collaboration/communication between CRT and the National Federation of Anglers or, even better, the individual clubs holding the fishing rights to a stretch, would help. Signage would make things clearer to both parties.

Is it really any wonder 2 groups mostly ignorant of each others needs, rules and issues clash now and again?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

When you say 'a couple of years ago', does that mean this doesn't apply any more?

I was going to have a word with the fishermen but chickened out, but what's the point of having designated visitor moorings with rings when the entire stretch is being fished on?

It is still 'live' on their website.

(I cut & pasted the above from there.)

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/related-articles/the-fisheries-and-angling-team/sharing-the-space-tips-for-anglers

Edited by Alan de Enfield

End of the boating season? Boating season is all year round! For some of us at least. As for fishermen's priority over the visitor moorings... they can take my mooring rings from my cold, dead hands.

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

but most anglers just go fishing.

I'd say this is not the case with match fishing, which is what we are discussing here. Match fishermen are every bit as serious and anal about their match fishing as boaters are about their boating.

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Perhaps I'm reading different material, but I haven't seen any references to a "Boating Season" in any CRT publications. For example, the regular "Boaters' Update" has recently even featured an article pointing out how pleasurable winter boating can be.

That's the propaganda publication to boaters telling us what we want to hear from Damian 

I can understand them asking for 5 meters between moored boats on winter moorings but what bothers me is the signs are appearing all year round now, the last ones I saw were on the G&S both by the old defunct railway bridge at Sharpness and the swing bridge at Framilode