Installing new 12v sockets in circuit.

Tasemu

Featured Posts

Hello, I have bought some dual 12v cigarette lighter sockets which I want to install in our saloon. There are currently other types of 3-round-pin 12v sockets which I would like to try and use the same wire, or even replace these. The problem is that the wiring to these sockets are quite large, so daisy-chaining the multi cigarette lighter sockets doesn't appear doable with the yellow crimp slide-on terminals I have and they seem to be the only ones that fit the terminals on the sockets themselves.

image.png.617f794f9c9782c46882b9cbb17408cb.png

Am I missing something easy here? I just want to replace the old 3-pin sockets, or failing that, somehow tap into the line with new wire small enough to get my multi cigarette lighter sockets working.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

14 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Hello, I have bought some dual 12v cigarette lighter sockets which I want to install in our saloon. There are currently other types of 3-round-pin 12v sockets which I would like to try and use the same wire, or even replace these. The problem is that the wiring to these sockets are quite large, so daisy-chaining the multi cigarette lighter sockets doesn't appear doable with the yellow crimp slide-on terminals I have and they seem to be the only ones that fit the terminals on the sockets themselves.

image.png.617f794f9c9782c46882b9cbb17408cb.png

Am I missing something easy here? I just want to replace the old 3-pin sockets, or failing that, somehow tap into the line with new wire small enough to get my multi cigarette lighter sockets working.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

If the problem is that the cables to the existing 3 pin sockets are too large to fit the terminals on your new sockets, then cutting of the spade connectors and fitting bootlace ferrules will sort it out. Just make sure the bootlace ferrule is the correct size for the cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Insulated-Terminal-Ferrules-Electrical/dp/B07CNP17GL/ref=asc_df_B07CNP17GL/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232061105168&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14995888545820355375&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=pla-459085905803&psc=1

You may need to use twin cable bootlace ferrules if you want to daisy chain the new sockets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kafton-1-0mm²-Double-Bootlace-Ferrules/dp/B07D1PWD3C/ref=asc_df_B07D1PWD3C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232042431268&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2310296965610554239&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=pla-460050438668&psc=1

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Surely there must be some sort of adapter that will go from 3 pin to your desired 12v output type? Or if not just make one up with several cigarette lighter and usb sockets. That way you can just plug it in and don't have to piggy back off the wiring.

Well i want it to look nice, i want to set these new ones into the wall flush rather than wiring them up to the 3 pin and having them hang out the wall. But that is an option worst case scenario.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, having taken the wires off the 3 pin socket they are too thick for the yellow spade crimp connectors? If so why not just use a chocolate block that will take the fat wires on one side, and slightly thinner wires on the other side that will fit the yellow spade crimps. Don’t use wire any thinner than necessary because the fusing for that supply may be quite large. Ideally you should use bootlace ferrules on chocolate block screw terminals, but if you don’t I doubt the sky will fall in.

13 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Well i want it to look nice, i want to set these new ones into the wall flush rather than wiring them up to the 3 pin and having them hang out the wall. But that is an option worst case scenario.

It wouldn't have to hang out the wall. Not sure where your existing socket is but you might be able to mount the new sockets in a piece of wood which was fixed underneath the gunwale for example.

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

If I understand what you are saying correctly, having taken the wires off the 3 pin socket they are too thick for the yellow spade crimp connectors? If so why not just use a chocolate block that will take the fat wires on one side, and slightly thinner wires on the other side that will fit the yellow spade crimps. Don’t use wire any thinner than necessary because the fusing for that supply may be quite large. Ideally you should use bootlace ferrules on chocolate block screw terminals, but if you don’t I doubt the sky will fall in.

Yes that's probably a better idea.

Edited by blackrose

Those USB sockets take a constant draw even when not in use (unless you have a switch in the circuit). Might be worth considering a double cigar lighter socket and a removable USB adapter. Gives a bit more flexibility as well. 

Edit: reading the original post again, it's not clear that you're using those USBs. 

Edited by stegra

3 minutes ago, stegra said:

Those USB sockets take a constant draw even when not in use (unless you have a switch in the circuit). Might be worth considering a double cigar lighter socket and a removable USB adapter. Gives a bit more flexibility as well. 

Edit: reading the original post again, it's not clear that you're using those USBs. 

They do, but it’s pretty tiny. More annoying is the “light pollution” from the LED. We have one in the engine room which I can see from my bed unless the door is closed. It’s amazing how bright they are at 3am!

I have fitted  a few of these and all i did was as said above daisy chain them but with blue spade connectors/piggy back,  then in your case maybe as the power cables are so big use Wago connectors. 

1 hour ago, stegra said:

The picture was just an example sorry, i do have a double cigar lighter socket. :)

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Are you sure there is sufficient depth behind the wall to accommodate the socket with the cables connected?

I believe so, if not it will just be a matter of extruding the housing out slightly.

47 minutes ago, W+T said:

I have fitted  a few of these and all i did was as said above daisy chain them but with blue spade connectors/piggy back,  then in your case maybe as the power cables are so big use Wago connectors. 

Those wago connectors look ideal, I hope they're big enough for the wire though. I had a look at them on ebay and couldn't find a size rating.

29 minutes ago, pearley said:

Are you sure there is sufficient depth behind the wall to accommodate the socket with the cables connected?

They can get warm and do need a bit of air circulation to keep them cool, so don’t enclose it in the insulation.

15 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Those wago connectors look ideal, I hope they're big enough for the wire though. I had a look at them on ebay and couldn't find a size rating.

4 sq mm flexible cable will just fit.