New All Purpose Clamp Meter Required

Harpur Hill

Featured Posts

My very old test meter has, sadly, finally expired and I need a replacement. Regrettably, my boating days are done but I would like a multi-function device for general use around the house/workshop/car.

I have done a forum and other searches and come up with the following three possibles:-

UNI-T UT210E True RMS AC/DC Current Mini Clamp Meters w/ Capacitance Tester: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

Digital Clamp Meter TRMS Auto Ranging 5999 Counts Multimeter with Alligator Clip Batteries And Bag Multi Tester with Light for Voltage Current Resistance Capacitance Frequency Temperature Diode Test: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

UNI-T UT203 400-600A Digital Clamp Meter: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome

Does anyone have experience of the above or a recommendation? (or contra-indications even)

Thanks

HH

I have the dc current reading versions of both the UT210 & UT203, I find them very good.  The 210 has smaller jaws but will just accept a 90mm2 cable, but for home and car use I doubt that is a limitation.  Likewise the max current is a lot lower for the 210 but again (probably) more than enough for car and home use, and has a lower range so better for currents less than say 15A.

If either were lost, I would buy the same again.

A word of caution, if you buy on eBay etc the letter at the end (210E) designates certain features, one of which is the ability to measure DC current, so take care.

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

No experience with those but I bought this one a while ago after many recommendations (mainly from the 12v narrowboat group on Facebook): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W76CMFQ/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

It's been excellent.

Thank you for the info, however:-   " Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock".

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I have the dc current reading versions of both the UT210 & UT203, I find them very good.  The 210 has smaller jaws but will just accept a 90mm2 cable, but for home and car use I doubt that is a limitation.  Likewise the max current is a lot lower for the 210 but again (probably) more than enough for car and home use, and has a lower range so better for currents less than say 15A.

If either were lost, I would buy the same again.

A word of caution, if you buy on eBay etc the letter at the end (210E) designates certain features, one of which is the ability to measure DC current, so take care.

Thanks for the recommendation and the caution re 'E' designation duly noted.

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I've also used and been happy with the UT203:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNI-T-UT203-400-600A-Digital-Clamp/dp/B00BIBDF16

Mainly use it for voltages, but have used it for Amps and resistance, and no complaints.

Yep.  That's the one I've got.  Good bit of kit.

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I've also used and been happy with the UT203:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNI-T-UT203-400-600A-Digital-Clamp/dp/B00BIBDF16

Mainly use it for voltages, but have used it for Amps and resistance, and no complaints.

The other one can be found if you google aimo meter ms2108a 

Looks pretty much like mine, just a different colour. I suspect the internals of most of these are probably almost identical.

I have 2 UNI-T 203s, one on boat, one for house/aircraft etc. Obviously I bought a second one because I was pleased with the first one. I don’t think there is any need for the “true rms” function of the 210 and typically it is more expensive I think. However the 203 isn’t very good for measuring small currents, there is quite a bit of error and some temperature-dependant zero offset. But in the context of a boat, that is unlikely to matter.

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Out of interest. What do members tend to actually use meters for? I mean specifically.

Probably nothing until something goes wrong.

Last time I used mine was to check the fridge bulb which had stopped working. Annoyingly the bulb is fine, so it must be the fridge door switch.

19 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I suspect the internals of most of these are probably almost identical.

Whilst there will be some like that, I suspect there will also be some very poorly made ones, possibly verging on the dangerous, that don't look much different. 

13 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Out of interest. What do members tend to actually use meters for? I mean specifically.

Another vote for the UT 203......but I only ever use it for measuring D.C. Amps.

Got it to check alternator currents but it's been very useful for checking currents when installing and setting up the lithium batteries.

15 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I use my to routinely check that the batteries are charging and to check that the galvanic isolator diodes are intact, plus fault finding when required.

A decent clamp meter (I have a UT 203) and an infra red thermometer are indispensable parts of my boat toolkit.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I use my to routinely check that the batteries are charging and to check that the galvanic isolator diodes are intact, plus fault finding when required.

A decent clamp meter (I have a UT 203) and an infra red thermometer are indispensable parts of my boat toolkit.

Any toolkit.  I use my clamp meter as a general duty multi meter. The clamp/amp function is usefull on ts time but it spends most of its time doing continuity & voltage.