Sea toilet recommendations

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

Hi,

We have a sea toilet on a widebeam (in an area where this is allowed). It has broken beyond repair so needs replacing. I would love to go compost but it's not practical for us, we have no space for a pumpout holding tank and I am fed up of a cassette (proves tricky when you need to empty it and are pregnant with a toddler). We are happy with our choice that sea toilet is the way to go still but want advice/thoughts on manual V electric. I know manual are much cheaper but people say the flush is a real pain...would you agree? Others say electric break constantly so are a waste of money, again, if maintained properly would you agree. Looking for brand recommendations too.

Many thanks

Hannah

We have 2x manual pump Sea Toilets, no problem at all.

You can do a 'dry' pump or a 'flush' pump - the flush is a simple 4 or 5 'up & down' movements of the handle - not particularly onerous. 

More than happy.

No electric used and no mechanical breakdowns (yet)

These are the ones we have :

https://www.rm69.nl/spareparts-marine-toilet/

https://www.rm69.nl/marine-toilet/

Marine-toilet (1)

Ebay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RM69-Regata-Manual-Toilet-MT1322111-NMK-MT1322111-598612-Motomarine-/153659875730?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We have a lavac sea toilet (on sail boat) with a whale henderson pump. When ever it has been used, it has worked very well, and has had little maintenance in 15 years (one valve in the pump).I wouldn't say it is effortless though, and wouldn't want to use it on a full time liveaboard basis.

ETA.Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to make a daily habit of emptying my bog into an inland waterway at all, allowed or not.

If you win the lotto, you could always buy a Baby blake.

baby_1_1.jpg

Edited by rusty69
changed some words, cos I can.
  • Greenie 2

I replaced an old Jabsco manual toilet (horrid thing) with a Sanimarine SN31 Comfort last year on our boat on the mainland. Lovely piece of kit and not expensive as these things go. I preferred the one with a two way rocker switch to pump out / fill, there's less to go wrong. It's not even very noisy.

I used to have an electric RM69 on our narrowboat. No end of trouble, it blocked frequently and very, very noisy.

I had a friend who installed a sea toilet into his sailing boat, a Ballerina 21. He loved it terribly, so much that he sat on it for the whole 15 mile trip back from Bradwell  on Sea marina to Maldon while I sailed his boat back single handed, he wouldn't even get off it to make tea. He might still be sitting on it for all I know. :unsure:

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I had a friend who installed a sea toilet into his sailing boat, a Ballerina 21. He loved it terribly, so much that he sat on it for the whole 15 mile trip back from Bradwell  on Sea marina to Maldon while I sailed his boat back single handed, he wouldn't even get off it to make tea. He might still be sitting on it for all I know. :unsure:

I know the feeling. Bradwell marina has bad memories for me.We were moored there one sunday lunch time many years ago, I had the worst case of squits ever. Granny was aboard the boat with my mum and dad, so for me it as a quick sprint on numerous occasions to the bog at the top of the hill.

I have some paper plans to build a ballerina btw, as my ole dad planned to build one once. Never did, but the plans are still there.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I know the feeling. Bradwell marina has bad memories for me.We were moored there one sunday lunch time many years ago, I had the worst case of squits ever. Granny was aboard the boat with my mum and dad, so for me it as a quick sprint on numerous occasions to the bog at the top of the hill.

I have some paper plans to build a ballerina btw, as my ole dad planned to build one once. Never did, but the plans are still there.

This one was GRP, quite sleak and quite fast too.

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

If you win the lotto, you could always buy a Baby blake.

baby_1_1.jpg

Don't be so cheap Rusty. For a bit of class you need a Blakes Victory. Royalty among toilets, each hand made to order.  https://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/blake victory-15.pdf

bvt.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Most electric sea loos are macerators and "fail" due too the wrong things being put in them or due to incorrect installation. They also use power which may be a drawback.

But a manual has less still to go wrong and if well engineered will outlast most electric ones.

The loo is one piece of equipment that you do not want to go wrong......ever!

The Blakes Victory and Baby are by far the best, many over 50 years old are still in use and spares are all available. Well worth the near £5000 cost in my view.

I've got a manual Jabsco and it's fine. Large bowl version. Flush / empty works without effort (or electricity). Changed a flap valve a couple of years ago after about 15 years use and the pump seal needs changing when I get around to it. Spares seem reasonably priced and freely available. It does like a weekly dose of olive oil to lubricate the pump washer, it has it's own dedicated bottle in the bathroom cupboard.  If I had to replace it I would get another without hesitation. ?

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

DELUX MODEL

Bucket.jpg

Oh, please, lets not go back to the spade and farmers field days!

Kids were fearful of falling in the bucket. It was always dad's job to go out with the spade, in all weathers. 

As we aged and spread a bit, the plastic buckets  lacked rigidity, galvanised were cold.

Happy times though.

When Edward Heath raced Morning Cloud he had his Throne for'ard amidships in the crew cabin, some found it a bit disconcerting to wake up to find the PM doing his biz in such close quarters.

As we are for the present more or less on topic, luckily......

Is it odd that we still call disposal points "Elsan" emptying places? Does anyone still use an Elsan or is it now just a generic name like Perspex, Hoover  and Kleenex? 

I well remember the green outer can and seat with the enamelled honey bucket concealed within, not from boating but from caravan holidays in sewer challenged North Wales.

Not with fond memories.

Showing my age.......

29 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

As we are for the present more or less on topic, luckily......

Is it odd that we still call disposal points "Elsan" emptying places? Does anyone still use an Elsan or is it now just a generic name like Perspex, Hoover  and Kleenex? 

I well remember the green outer can and seat with the enamelled honey bucket concealed within, not from boating but from caravan holidays in sewer challenged North Wales.

Not with fond memories.

Showing my age.......

Now plastic rather than enamelled steel, but still available.

toilets_banner.jpg

https://www.elsan.co.uk/our-products/toilets.aspx