A couple of questions regarding address that someone may be able to advise me on?

huami

Featured Posts

As I mentioned in an earlier posting I am returning to my birth place (The UK) and will be buying within the next few months a narrow boat. So far not a problem but a couple of things I have come up against are :-

In order to open a British bank account I need an address in the UK, and my ONLY address in the UK will be on board my narrow boat, which they do not accept as my address.

Has anyone any earlier experience of this?, and who may be able to advise me?

Thanking you in advance ....
Neil

I think when I changed my address, one bank seemed slightly wary, but my marina allows us to use their office address, which does not mention "marina". I did not mention BOAT.

There are one or two boat-mail businesses which give you a real address. They also scan or forward mail to you.

To receive mail, you can use poste restante post offices.

I think you are best with at least two bank accounts.    They will send the plastic cards to your address, often without warning.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think when I changed my address, one bank seemed slightly wary, but my marina allows us to use their office address, which does not mention "marina". I did not mention BOAT.

There are one or two boat-mail businesses which give you a real address. They also scan or forward mail to you.

To receive mail, you can use poste restante post offices.

I think you are best with at least two bank accounts.    They will send the plastic cards to your address, often without warning.

Hi LadyG ....  Thanks for the information ..

Have a lovely day

Neil

• Happy 1

If you have a friend in the UK, in an area you'll be in regularly, who doesn't mind pretending you live in their house/flat/whatever too, that may be a practical solution. But they'll have to consider council tax, the landlord if they're renting, insurance and maybe other reasons why officially having a lodger could be a problem for them.

On 18/11/2019 at 09:02, Gayzingalone said:

As I mentioned in an earlier posting I am returning to my birth place (The UK) and will be buying within the next few months a narrow boat. So far not a problem but a couple of things I have come up against are :-

In order to open a British bank account I need an address in the UK, and my ONLY address in the UK will be on board my narrow boat, which they do not accept as my address.

Has anyone any earlier experience of this?, and who may be able to advise me?

Thanking you in advance ....
Neil

I think as far as the UK authorities are concerned you will be technically 'homeless', living only on a boat without a home mooring. So I think your difficulty getting a bank account is a common one shared by all itinerants. 

You might get some concrete advice from the NBTA. http://www.bargee-traveller.org.uk/

Also ask them about similar problems with an address for your driving licence, assuming you have one. 

2 minutes ago, sbainbridge said:

There are a few commercial companies that provide addresses and mail services. Boatmail and Shiptoshore spring to mind. However I do not know how the banks would deal with the answer to the request they make for two years address history.

The OP has, AIUI, a two year address history abroad, but plans to become itinerant here.

I had to do exactly this last year for a guy back from the Philippines after a 23 year absence. It revolves around a HRT test, Habitual Residency Test.

I found that the local manager at the Nationwide Building Society (which is almost a fully fledged bank ) had a straightforward attitude and could provide a basic bank account facility.

3 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Assuming you have an account in Thailand, would your present manager be willing to give you a letter of introduction explaining your circumstances - also, they may already have an ‘arrangement’ with a UK bank that would help.

Hi Mike .... 

Thanks for your comment and it something I will certainly try. Who knows? ... It could help.

Have a great day

Neil

I am in the US and doing a little homework and I found a couple of International Banks where I could set up accounts in the US and UK. Forgotten the names now but one was actually UK based.

When I arrive in the UK I would already have an account along with UK based debit and/or credit cards. Since our plan is moving back and forth and our income with be from the US this appears it will work very well. Easy  to move money around from one to the other account.

3 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

Easy  to move money around from one to the other account.

Sent you my account details today, it needs a top up,  US $  rather than Canadian ?

Edited by LadyG
  • Horror 1

Residential moorings in some marinas come with a fully registered postal address.  Sawley Marina, for example, is is one.  My son is an electoral services officer for the local authority which covers that area, and he assures me that these addresses are as good as bricks and mortar.  

7 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Residential moorings in some marinas come with a fully registered postal address.  Sawley Marina, for example, is is one.  My son is an electoral services officer for the local authority which covers that area, and he assures me that these addresses are as good as bricks and mortar.  

The OP says he is planning to CC and will not be taking a mooring. This is why he is finding it difficult. 

I used a visa agency, cost £100 didn’t need a visa because I am British born, but that cost included opening a bank account. We used a friends address for mail. Important that if they offer you a credit card, take it to build up your credit rating just make sure you pay it in for ll every month (or don’t use it)

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The OP says he is planning to CC and will not be taking a mooring. This is why he is finding it difficult. 

Yep, missed that bit!

however, this lot were reviewed in last months Waterway World, and claim that no proof of address is required...

https://monese.com/sign-up?l=c&utm_source=financeads&utm_medium=cpl&utm_campaign=GB&utm_term=32169

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2019 at 21:20, Kiwidad said:

Important that if they offer you a credit card, take it to build up your credit rating just make sure you pay it in for ll every month (or don’t use it)

Do use it if you want to build a credit rating. Simple possession of a card won’t do that. 

Ah the British Banking System.

From NZ we first opened a NZ HSBC account and later a UK HSBC savings account. Not entirely straightforward but perseverance paid off and the account serves us well.

We stopped at the very extensive extra requirements to get a HSBC credit card and managed well without.

However we accidentally ended up with a Debenhams credit card when joining a promotion to give an immediate extra 20% off something we were already buying meant a Debenhams credit card was suprisingly posted out to our winter mooring address. Credit checks dunno. Never used it though.

I have ben using BoatPost as my bone fide address for some years.

They offer a service that fowards my post to wherever I am. Excellent.

The only difficulty I have is with the NHS who asume that 'one size fits all' so my address for them is c/o my dotor's surgery.

It all works well and I vote in Stone, Staffrdshire where I have a mooring, although I'm only there part of the year.

BoatPost: boatpost.co.uk

Contact David as above.

That might be what youre looking for.

James

• Greenie 1

We hired a post box ten years ago which has stood as our address for everything, including various bank accounts. These are available in cities and large university towns, as they are popular with students. You can hire a small, medium or large box, have a key to it, and usually have the office staff forward your post anywhere you wish, sign for parcels, even open an important letter/scan it/email it to you. If, for example, you have post box 218, the first line of your address is 'Flat 218', 'Studio 218', 'Suite 218' (whatever you like) ... followed by the ordinary street address of the post service business.

Obviously you need to pick up post on a regular basis -- we do it about once or twice a month -- or have everything forwarded somewhere: post restante, friends, a business, marina. It depends how widely you are CCing or how often you happen to visit your post box.

On 23/11/2019 at 21:20, Kiwidad said:

Important that if they offer you a credit card, take it to build up your credit rating just make sure you pay it in for ll every month (or don’t use it)

Not using it will not help you build your credit rating. Use it once a month to pay something (perhaps your CRT licence), and paying it off immediately will build a positive score.