Can any one identify this ?

BMC ON L PLATES

Featured Posts

Evening all.. I recently bought a cabin cruiser as a restoration project to completely renovate and restore to better than former glory.

I was told it's a seamaster 23... Looking at the plans for the seamaster it's very similar in layout but the windows are completely different on the front and sides.....

It's has a boat builders plaque that says r.springfield boat builders maidenhead. Google turns up nothing in relation to this...

Shes fitted with a perkins 4.107m with a enfield 130 z drive. All believed to be standard fitment even has the perkins starting procedure plaque...

If any one can shed some light on this mystery I'd be most grateful...

Regards rob 

20191113_084116.jpg

20191113_084050.jpg

20191117_152335.jpg

Springfields were just below maidenhead bridge on the Bucks bank in the 1960s. I go with Mr Norman's thoughts because at that time Springfields were producing a sort of catamaran hull based cruiser using two cut up Senior hulls. I don't know if they owned a mould or bought from Senior. I get the impression that at that time they were more boat fitters than actual builders so may be they also fitted out Senior hulls.

• Greenie 1

thanks for that. althou looking at the photos of senior boats all the windows look different.. I know mine has had wooden windows added in at a later date but the senior ones still dont look like mine.

They also dont have the hatch at the front.... Hmm id love to find out what it is

Edited by BMC ON L PLATES

I think what you were told was correct. Seamaster 23 fitted by Springfield Maidenhead. 

I've recently acquired a small grp cruiser (Fairline 19) from Maidenhead which has completely different windows to the other F19s I have seen. I wonder if the mouldings were delivered with a complete cabin i.e. no window cutouts. 

That would add up. 

ETA my little Fairline has been out of water since god was a boy in Maidenhead and interestingly it also has the rubber sealed windows your boat has. Usually you see aluminium frames on these boats so I think your little mystery may have helped solve mine with the help of Tony Brooks ! 

I bet they were bare shells fitted by the same boatyard. 

Next thing you'll be saying your boat has railway carriage cabin lights. 

This type 

IMG201911181851461574103210.jpg

Edited by magnetman

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think what you were told was correct. Seamaster 23 fitted by Springfield Maidenhead. 

I've recently acquired a small grp cruiser (Fairline 19) from Maidenhead which has completely different windows to the other F19s I have seen. I wonder if the mouldings were delivered with a complete cabin i.e. no window cutouts. 

That would add up. 

ETA my little Fairline has been out of water since god was a boy in Maidenhead and interestingly it also has the rubber sealed windows your boat has. Usually you see aluminium frames on these boats so I think your little mystery may have helped solve mine with the help of Tony Brooks ! 

I bet they were bare shells fitted by the same boatyard. 

Next thing you'll be saying your boat has railway carriage cabin lights. 

This type 

IMG201911181851461574103210.jpg

I have one of those lamps in my boat with an LED bulb, really nice. Its not wired up with a bit of doorbell wire  looped around a screw though.

That wire goes to something else. The railway cabin light is wired directly through the panelling. That one isn't on the Fairline it's on one of my other boats. 

It's got a filament bulb in it. LED is good but you can't beat a real bulb in this sort of application. 

Edited by magnetman

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

That wire goes to something else. The railway cabin light is wired directly through the panelling. That one isn't on the Fairline it's on one of my other boats.  The bell wire is very dodgy if connected in the lamp to the 12v in. It could chaff on that screw and catch light if theres no fuse.

Ah, yes I can just see heavier wires coming out of the top.

Yes the brown wire is a decoy wire. 

I put the fitting in to replace a slightly naff brass effect reading light. Could probably have done it tidier to be fair. 

Always awkward to change things later in boats. 

I really like those light fittings a lot. 

The other ones I like are the teak ones you get on some American boats. 

IMG201911181911561574104388.jpg

I think this one was from a Chapparal or something like that. 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I put the fitting in to replace a slightly naff brass effect reading light. Could probably have done it tidier to be fair. 

Mine had no shade so I made one from a pint sizet white plastic milk bottle.

I also really like the old Davey jellymould lamps. 

Have quite a lot of them on the barge. Lovely hardware they are expensive new but turn up cheap on eBay as they were fitted to everyday boats like Elysians and people do refits take the old gear out. 

Edited by magnetman

Hmm interesting read guys... I think that would just about sum it up, they must have cut the windows out when fitted out by springfield... As the sea masters in this size all have glass windows with a alloy frame as mentioned.......

Sadly i dont have lights like that just plain boaring strip tube lights.. White cork board roofing panels 

rob 

Heres my boat builders badge 

20191118_192334.jpg

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think this one was from a Chapparal or something like that. 

I much prefer the white plastic Mk1 railway carriage lamp, Reminds me of journeys to Liverpool and back as a kid in the 1950's. You need to get the metal individual steam heating control to go next to it. That heating control never seemed to make a scrap of difference though whichever way you twiddled the knob.

22 minutes ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

Hmm interesting read guys... I think that would just about sum it up, they must have cut the windows out when fitted out by springfield... As the sea masters in this size all have glass windows with a alloy frame as mentioned.......

Sadly i dont have lights like that just plain boaring strip tube lights.. White cork board roofing panels 

rob 

Heres my boat builders badge 

20191118_192334.jpg

Nice ! 

I'm sure that's where my little Fairline came from. The previous I have for it are Freebody's (Maidenhead) and Cookham lock keeper who I bought it off a few months ago. 

Makes sense it was done at the same yard as it seems to be more or less unused and it's local.