Moving boat by trailer

Christine198807

Featured Posts

Hi my husband and I are new to boats and just brought our first boat 20ft Mayland cruiser .

We are looking to move it out of Norfolk boards onto the Environment Agency and River Trust rivers and canals, at a affordable rate.

My question is I've been told it's got to be lifted out the water and put onto a boat trailer, and I should drive the boat about a mile to a company that can help.

I'm confused to whether I can just get a guy with a trailer to get it out the water at slipway ?, surly a 20ft most likely no more than 1.5 ton is not that large for a slipway ?

Can any one advise a affordable way to do this please ?.

I only need to get the boat from Norfolk boards to Brandon/Thetford Norfolk

Many Thanks Christine

Depending on your age / when you passed your driving test you could hire a trailer and do it yourself.

Including a trailer it would be well below the maximum towing weight by a reasonable sized car or 4x4

If you are only going a few miles then a 'shipping business' will probably have a minimum charge (1-day ?) rather than just charging you for the couple of hours.

Maybe you could stick a wanted ad on social media and someone local to you who has a similar boat / trailer may be able to help you out.

Tony Tugboat comes from Milton Keynes so he would be coming 100 miles each way ( 5 hours) towing a trailer to do a 2 hour job. Certainly worth a call as he may be delivering one in the area and can do you as a 'back-load'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Depending on your age / when you passed your driving test you could hire a trailer and do it yourself.

Including a trailer it would be well below the maximum towing weight by a reasonable sized car or 4x4

If you are only going a few miles then a 'shipping business' will probably have a minimum charge (1-day ?) rather than just charging you for the couple of hours.

Maybe you could stick a wanted ad on social media and someone local to you who has a similar boat / trailer may be able to help you out.

Tony Tugboat comes from Milton Keynes so he would be coming 100 miles each way ( 5 hours) towing a trailer to do a 2 hour job. Certainly worth a call as he may be delivering one in the area and can do you as a 'back-load'.

A 20ft boat will need a big trailer and a big towing vehicle

Just now, Graham Davis said:

A 20ft boat will need a big trailer and a big towing vehicle

I used to tow my 19 foot Bayliner (on a trailer) behind my Cortina.

A Bayliner 20 weighs around 1800lbs

The Mayland will (probably) have an outboard

I reckon the OP is not far off at 1.5 tonnes (all up)

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sadly nether of us drive due to the shear fear of the road, its chaos here and constant crash's due to environment issues(lack of street lamps) and twats speeding.

It is indeed a short distance so trying to find someone reasonable but was wondering if we can just take it on a slip way instead of having it lifted out.

I might give the social media a good try , first ill give Tony a try and see if any one else can recommend anyone closer to home(Norfolk). 

1 minute ago, Christine198807 said:

It is indeed a short distance so trying to find someone reasonable but was wondering if we can just take it on a slip way instead of having it lifted out.

Not quite sure what you mean - it would be loaded onto a trailer by floating it on with the trailer down the slip way. What do you mean "take it on a slipway" ?

No lifting needed.

Why are you taking it to Thetford - are you having some work done to it ?

Maybe if you could outline your plans someone could give more useful advice.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not quite sure what you mean - it would be loaded onto a trailer by floating it on with the trailer down the slip way. What do you mean "take it on a slipway" ?

No lifting needed.

Why are you taking it to Thetford - are you having some work done to it ?

Maybe if you could outline your plans someone could give more useful advice.

I'm new to boating and I was told it needs to be lifted by some special machine to get it on a trailer, I was thinking surly a 20ft boat is not that large and a vehicle should be able to get it on a boat trailer at a public slipway.

We want to put the boat in Thetford as it is close to where I live so that we can learn to drive it and head closer to home then sort out moorings etc after we give it a good spin.

Ideally I have family living in London and my husbands family live in Norfolk , it is a nightmare as we don't drive and use public transport to get around followed by hotels. Plus it's fun and we always wanted a boat for many plans.

The cost we have spent on trains and hotels exceed the cost of a boat. When visiting my family we could live on the boat for a week and moor up on the tow paths or in a marine for a week or so if possible. Even if it means move the boat every 24 hours it would still be cheaper than hotels+long distance transport.

3 minutes ago, Christine198807 said:

I'm new to boating and I was told it needs to be lifted by some special machine to get it on a trailer, I was thinking surly a 20ft boat is not that large and a vehicle should be able to get it on a boat trailer at a public slipway.

Yes it will load onto a trailer from a slipway.

Where is it located at the moment ?

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And is the Thetford cassette, or pumpout? ?

Thetford Norfolk just happens the share the name with the toilet.

It is where Dads Amy comes from we even have a museum Dad's Army Museum.

Google it, it is a lovely town based in Norfolk.

Edited by Christine198807

4 minutes ago, Christine198807 said:

Thetford Norfolk just happens the share the name with the toilet.

It is where Dads Amy comes from we even have a museum Dad's Army Museum.

My apologies. The cassette, or pumpout question is a bit of a running joke on the forum, along with the ecofan one and I couldn't resist. Afraid I can't help with your boat moving question, but I'm sure there is someone who can. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you checked out boating in Thetford, what authority does it come under? 

I believe it was the Environment Agency and we also have Middle Level Navigations near us too just past Downham market.

I live in a strange area in which the following

We have a town called Thetford not the Toilet.

We live in Norfolk but not part of the Norfolk Boards

We have a very tiny Waterways called Middle Level Navigation's.

There is a town called Outwell and a camping website called Outwell which sells Thetford toilets 

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My apologies. The cassette, or pumpout question is a bit of a running joke on the forum, along with the ecofan one and I couldn't resist. Afraid I can't help with your boat moving question, but I'm sure there is someone who can. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Jen

No worries the first time I heard about the toilet I cracked up laughing.

Edited by Christine198807
  • Haha 1

Just now, rasputin said:

Need a boat moved any where in UK just ask WMS Marine Boat Transport 07789095032,

Based in Norfolk

Thank you I'll try these guys first before tony as its local. x

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I actually meant WHERE, as in Brundall, Norwich, Coltishall, Hickling etc

It's in Beccles at the moment.

Oulton Broad has probably the nearest slipway to Beccles, ring the harbour master.    There used to be a wonderful little booklet called ''Getting afloat'' which had virtually every possible slipway in the country and their particulars in it.  I never went anywhere without it, even to the Thetford Porta-Pottie.

Edited by bizzard

22 minutes ago, Christine198807 said:

It's in Beccles at the moment.

Slips and contact phone numbers in Beccles :

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/slipways-and-launching-points

Beccles Public slipway. 01502 532541 The Quay, Beccles, NR34 9BH
Beccles Lift in/Lift out  to or from lorry or trailer to 10 tons.  Launch and recovery by slipway 1:9.5 with 1 mtr at mlw. Dry storage. Winter Storage. 01502 714154 Galleon Storage and Mooring Limited, 50 Puddingmoor, Beccles, NR34 9PL
Beccles Launch and recover to 18ft length, DIY, slipway to 8 tons, normal boatyard facilities, repairs, winter storage, Caravan site (CL5) - NOTE: Facilities are not setup for self launching of larger dinghies (canoes and light dinghies that can be lifted in are ok though). 01502 712166 H. E. Hipperson, Gillingham Dam, Beccles, NR34 0EB

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Oulton Broad has probably the nearest slipway to Beccles, ring the harbour master.    There used to be a wonderful little booklet called ''Getting afloat'' which had virtually every possible slipway and their particulars in it.  I never went anywhere without it, even to the Thetford Porta-Pottie.

I'll have to check this one out.

I went to the Boards website and found a slipway for the public The Quay, Beccles, NR34 9BH

Wonder if anyone has tried this one, the photos on google maps goods condition. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Slips and contact phone numbers in Beccles :

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/slipways-and-launching-points

Beccles Public slipway. 01502 532541 The Quay, Beccles, NR34 9BH
Beccles Lift in/Lift out  to or from lorry or trailer to 10 tons.  Launch and recovery by slipway 1:9.5 with 1 mtr at mlw. Dry storage. Winter Storage. 01502 714154 Galleon Storage and Mooring Limited, 50 Puddingmoor, Beccles, NR34 9PL
Beccles Launch and recover to 18ft length, DIY, slipway to 8 tons, normal boatyard facilities, repairs, winter storage, Caravan site (CL5) - NOTE: Facilities are not setup for self launching of larger dinghies (canoes and light dinghies that can be lifted in are ok though). 01502 712166 H. E. Hipperson, Gillingham Dam, Beccles, NR34 0EB

Beat you there by about a minute :D x

1 minute ago, Christine198807 said:

I went to the Boards website and found a slipway for the public The Quay, Beccles, NR34 9BH

Yes I  think I remember that one now. I think it went down between some houses and for small dinghies.  It might be too steep or narrow though for your cruiser.. Needs checking out first.

6 minutes ago, Christine198807 said:

I know it and I think you may struggle, there is a yard in Beccles where they get boats out but I don't know offhand if they have a slip. I also know Thetford which is why I asked about the authority that controls it, although it flows to the fens you can only do it by canoe. IMO you would do better to take it somewhere like Judes ferry