Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
rusty69

Fruit flies

Featured Posts

Right you lot,I have posted this on the other forum too,but would love to here your input.

Does anyone know how to get rid of fruit flies?

I assume they are fruit flies anyway, pesky little annoying things they are, pretty small, and fairly slow flying. Always this time of year  and earlier we seem to get them mainly in our engine room. Now traditionally the engine room is where Mrs Rusty keeps the tin recycling box, well, it is a traditional style boat.The tins are washed out beforehand, but I wonder if that is what is attracting them.We get rid of them one day, and they are back the next. Some times they disappear for weeks, then are back again. 

We have tried making a fly trap, a tin with clingfilm over, with holes in and a bit of vinegar in the bottom. This is effective at killing them, but I wonder if this also attracts them from outside as well, though when I cover the vent, they still appear.

Anyway, they are driving me mad, so in summary:

1.How to get rid of them?

2.How to prevent them coming back?

Thankyou.

Edited by rusty69

Our dog hid a pear down the side of a sofa cushion. My wife noticed some fruit flies in some volume. I fond the rotting mess of the pear, cleaned it all up, and they became homeless. A bundle found their way into a glass of wine between sips....... not a pleasant sight :( 

For about ten days I religiously did bowls of balsamic vinegar with cling film, glasses of white wine with and without cling film, screw top jars with holes punche in the top with wine and balsamic vinegar.

As per the advice of various web sites, bought two bottles of Apple a cider vinegar.... they weren’t interested in it at all.

After about a week, their numbers had dwindled and, two weeks on, they seem to have gone.

I don’t think any/many came from outside

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

2.How to prevent them coming back?

I guess the problem, at this time of the year is anywhere inhabited by humans, including your boat, is a comparatively warm environment for little critters on the edge of winter extinction.  So making your pad less appealing than the next is probably the only answer! 

15 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

I guess the problem, at this time of the year is anywhere inhabited by humans, including your boat, is a comparatively warm environment for little critters on the edge of winter extinction.  So making your pad less appealing than the next is probably the only answer! 

Or perhaps making a nearby boat more appealing?

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Or perhaps making a nearby boat more appealing?

At least it gives an excuse to moor 6” distant from another boats tipcat!

It's just a matter of keeping the area clean and clear of veg waste, the veg bin needs to be emptied regularly and cleaned thoroughly, ideally with a sealed lid.

If you have pot plants they could be scarid flies

Edited by tree monkey

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If you have pot plants they could be scarid flies

Yes, we do, but not in the engine room. What is a scarid fly?sounds scary!

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yes, we do, but not in the engine room. What is a scarid fly?sounds scary!

Not really, they like compost especially if it's allowed to stay wet, tiny annoying things, used to get them in the hundreds in seed trays if I overwatered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciaridae

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not really, they like compost especially if it's allowed to stay wet, tiny annoying things, used to get them in the hundreds in seed trays if I overwatered.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciaridae

Ok, I don't think it is them, though the engine room is often dampish due to condensation.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I agree. I had one in here yesterday. I squashed it with a 56lb Avery weight. 

Ok my finger....

One!. WE have hundreds of the bloody things, They are driving me insane!!!!!

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

One!. WE have hundreds of the bloody things, They are driving me insane!!!!!

Dump the veg box contents, clean and bleach the box, wipe down any surface with a mild bleach solution, use a sealing lid

Raid for those currently flying.

Maybe store the box outside if there is a decent frost due overnight 

Just now, tree monkey said:

Dump the veg box contents, clean and bleach the box, wipe down any surface with a mild bleach solution, use a sealing lid

It is actually just a plastic box full of empty, but washed tins.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Raid for those currently flying.

I don't want to spend any actual money.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Maybe store the box outside if there is a decent frost due overnight 

Yes.That is the answer. We will try putting it in the car overnight, and see if we can re-home them. I will then take great joy at driving down the motorway with all of the windows open.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Yes.That is the answer. We will try putting it in the car overnight, and see if we can re-home them. I will then take great joy at driving down the motorway with all of the windows open.

Or of course you could take them on their holidays, why didn't I think of that :)

• Haha 1

We don't have any!

Must be a reason?

An ecofan? Naw, you have one of those already.

I know. Get a duck! There! Way to go!

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Fruit Flies?

I thought this was going to be a thread about a book by the chap who shows a lack of self control when someone nicks his mooring space.

I must have similar thought patterns: on seeing the title, my first reaction was "Does it?"