Nairn Across Britain 1972, Leeds and Liverpool Canal

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Searching though Iplayer I came across this archive episode of Nairn across Britain from 1972 of a trip along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01rwfkm/nairn-across-britain-2-transpennine-canal

To compliment this impression of the Leeds & Liverpool, the later - 1983  - series called "A Voyage between Two Seas" gives a slightly more up to date view of the waterway, and is interesting in that it features a young looking Stuart Sampson skippering his boat. Stuart went on to become the Chairman of NABO for a number of years. It is definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

On 17/11/2019 at 22:09, Derek R. said:

I enjoyed that Mike. A fascinating role reversal - embarassingly so!

The 1972 film was an interesting and challenging project.  My boat 'Wye' was 'converted' into an African river boat but the engine failed at some early point in the trip and Mike kindly came to the rescue with 'Pluto' towing for the rest of the trip.  I'm sorry to say the cast made an awful mess inside Wye's hold but I think it made entertaining, if somewhat offbeat,  viewing.

A younger version of myself is also seen,  aboard 'Apollo' at Shipley in the 1983 film, in which I unfortunately refer to a hand bowl as a dipper - I'm not sure why.  It would have been more appropriate to have featured a short boat cabin but one was not to hand - 'Water Prince' by then had lost its cabin. 

Regards

David L

I suspect that this was the first time a short boat had been towed over the canal's upper levels for many years, resulting in struggles with offside vegetation. Fortunately, no pleasure boats were tied close to bridgeholes, as they are now, which would make such a trip more of a contact sport today.