PRM 150 issues - shuddering

Black Pig

Featured Posts

Hi there,

A bit of advice from any experienced users or experts out there would be appreciated.

Our engine (isuzu 38) and gearbox get very unhappy when moving between forward and reverse.

If I do not place the throttle into neutral (or even when I do sometimes) whilst changing between forward and reverse there is a horrible whining and shuddering noise coming from the engine bay.

I am assuming this may be a gearbox issue - Prm150.

When I first got the boat a couple of years ago it ran perfectly, but I think I may have abused it a little by just hammering it from forward to reverse without ever putting it in neutral as advised by the manual.

I can potentially record the sound if necessary, but it is pretty grim. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be and how I might be able to fix it?

All the best,

Rob

• Horror 1

I can't reconcile shuddering and screeching with a hydraulic PRM box so wonder if the drive plate is failing and its metal screeching on metal. If so I would expect lots of noise and a loss of power. This is just one option. It's time for a listening stick to see if the noise can be localised to gearbox or flywheel housing/

• Greenie 1

Whining and shuddering sounds like clutch plates or maybe a bearing broken up. If you have lots of spanners I would unbolt the gearbox and have a look at the drive plate, if that seems ok then you probably need to take it to a gearbox person. Primrose Engineering? (edit) Has it got enough / any oil in it?

Edited by Bee
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the input Tony - this is a recording of me putting it in gear and then changing. It's not very bad here but you can hear the whining noise at around 4 seconds. That can get really loud at times and unless I quickly stick it into neutral when that is happening it feels like something is going to fall apart pretty quickly.

Edited by Black Pig

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

Whining and shuddering sounds like clutch plates or maybe a bearing broken up. If you have lots of spanners I would unbolt the gearbox and have a look at the drive plate, if that seems ok then you probably need to take it to a gearbox person. Primrose Engineering?

Thanks, for the heads up. I'll have to do more research on the drive plate first to understand what I'm looking at, but may give that a go.

Also, will potentially contact Primrose if I can't resolve it here.

Just now, Black Pig said:

As in for bags, weeds etc? I haven't recently but I don't think that's the issue, but probably worth having a look and cleaning before next outing just in case.

Yes I do mean bags, rope etc etc. First port of call for a shuddering in gear. With luck you might find its that?? Have a good feel around everywhere and shaft in case its rope and drifted down. Even the best of us have known to miss that!! :unsure:

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I do mean bags, rope etc etc. First port of call for a shuddering in gear. With luck you might find its that?? Have a good feel around everywhere and shaft in case its rope and drifted down. Even the best of us have known to miss that!! :unsure:

??