Barrus Shire stop relay housing

Featured Posts

Hello. Yet another issue on the good boat Nightwatch.

The engine stop relay housing ( the multi slit socket that takes the relay) has a severed wire. The wire is brittle and there's very little spare wire to make a re-connection.

So, how easily available are these housing units. (The buy). How are the wires connected to the unit. Are they unconnectable and rewireable by 'me'. 

Where could i buy a new one. Price guide. Difficulty of installation. Alternatives? 

These are the two pin configurations for the otherwise identical relays that fit the socket. You will need the correct one if you intend to reuse the socket as originally wired; you can however use either type if you use individual crimps (without the socket) to connect to the appropriate terminal number. The second method will need a few cable ties to hold everything in place.

6-3-0-728-12.jpg6-3-0-728-62.jpg

Edited by Eeyore

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yep that's the relay thingy, it works okay. It's the multi socket that it plugs into where I have the issue. 

That was quick, I was having trouble pasting both images at the same time; so did that and then edited for the second one!!

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Brilliant. Thank you. 

Would my existing relay fit those.  

Yes, the colour code will probably be different, so take a photo/do a drawing first. There are usually only 4 wires on the base, the unused one is in the centre and numbered 87a regardless of relay type.

33 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Brilliant. Thank you. 

Now, because of delivery issues, there's always issues, would a good car parts supplier stock these? Dare I say, Halfords? My present one is 30amp. Problem?  Would my existing relay fit those.  

Not on the Halfords web site, they do relays but not bases. 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Where are you at present?? 

Halfords may still sell them depending on your registration number?.....

If your are near to Daventry, Electrostart have everything like this, probably half the price of Halfrauds. 

We are at Braunston. Electrostart closed at 1300. I'm off to Hampshire tomorrow for a couple of days so will per-chase one their. Thanks for all the responses. Life is just a box of choc-o-lates.

The pins on the relay are standard 6.3mm blades, so you can make a repair simply by crimping spade connectors onto the four or five wires and attaching them to the correct pins on the relay and then cable-tying the assembly to secure it.  This method requires a wiring diagram or careful notes of wiring colours and positions as you remove the old connector. 6.3mm crimps and crimp tools are available everywhere.

MP.

11 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The pins on the relay are standard 6.3mm blades, so you can make a repair simply by crimping spade connectors onto the four or five wires and attaching them to the correct pins on the relay and then cable-tying the assembly to secure it.  This method requires a wiring diagram or careful notes of wiring colours and positions as you remove the old connector. 6.3mm crimps and crimp tools are available everywhere.

MP.

That's an idea. Taa! 

Thanks for the offer. Back from Hampshire now. Actually Fleet at my brothers and a visit to QA in Cosham. Waiting for admission for an op in next 2-4 weeks. 

Have now visited Electrostart in Daventry and purchased a kit. Will be interesting if I can achieve the objective. Ie. It works.