Lister ST2 seized

nigel carton

Featured Posts

A few years ago someone here had left the air cleaner off on an ST2 for ages under a cruiser stern deck, filled to the brim with rain water and seized. Drained the oil and changed it. Injectors out and poured in traditional REDEX. Left it a bit and then barred the engine over and it unstuck and pumped out water at the injector ports.   Then tried to start it, decompressors on and it started almost right away, pumping out a bit more water from the exhaust, then clouds of steam and black smoke which blotted out east Hertfordshire. It gradually settled down and ran well. She went off with it to the K&A Bathampton and it got there ok.

On 15/11/2019 at 18:36, RLWP said:

Rings rusted into the bores

Or worse - water in the cylinder. 

Richard

Worse than that Richard, pumped engine oil out, unfortunately not oil but a bucket full of water. The boat hasn’t sunk, I can only guess this was deliberate. 

14 hours ago, nigel carton said:

Worse than that Richard, pumped engine oil out, unfortunately not oil but a bucket full of water. The boat hasn’t sunk, I can only guess this was deliberate. 

Where's the exhaust outlet?

Also, had water got half way up the block - there may be a tide mark

On 27/11/2019 at 11:06, OptedOut said:

Might I enquire if there is a hot air outlet on the side of the engine bay, if so, what is its position relative to canal water level

Hi, it’s well above the water line. I’ve managed to un seize both pots, refitting cylinder heads tomorrow 

Just wondered if the the boat had been aground on the opposite side (due to a falling canal level)  and shipped some water into the engine bay then said water was then pumped out by the bilge pump when the boat levelled on re-floating.

Edited by OptedOut